5 lug Guru's, anyones brake pedal feel soft after swap?

Starscream88

Mar 8, 2003
Park Ridge NJ
Ok First I thought It was air in the system,
So I bled the system again and again,
Same results,

HARD as nails brake pedal, Like you can barley push it, then as soon as you start the engine it feels soft,
Then shut engine off,
Back to hard again,

So now Im guessing its because I used a 96 V6 Brake booster and MC right?

It just dont feel "hard" as it needs to,
the brakes work fine (SN95 Discs all round)
But pedal seems weak, Is that because of the bigger booster?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a little confused. It sounds like you think the pedal is softer than you think it should be, right? :shrug:

It's not going to feel like it used to. With the bigger booster it WILL feel softer, like it should becuase the booster is helping you more.

If your brakes work fine and you can stop good, then your fine.

no it's not.we can't tighten the e-brake cable so to adjust the e-brake you tighten the rear brake shoes by adjusting them out.the reason you get more pedal is because the wheel cylinders have less distance to push out against the shoes hence less pedal travel.

I have disc in the back. I adjusted the parking brake with the new center cable used for the rear disc conversion. From what I understand is that the rear calipers didn't have enough tension from the parking brake to start grabing. Plus the parking wasn't holding the car. When I adjusted the cable the parking brake holds the car now and the slack in the pedal was gone.

ratrapp said:
some caddy rear calipers are like that,if you don't set the e-brake every so often the rear won't adjust out and you'll lose some of your pedal.

Correct. The cobra calipers I have you just need to adjust the parking brake that one good time and everything should be cool.

Excellent news,

Well I went the El-Cheapo way and used my current centre cable
I just ordered the adjustable one from summit

Now Legendary, Did you weld your E-Brake as said to do so in Matts website?

Or did you just fit the adjustable cable and be done with it?

I personally do think this is my problem as my e-brake dont work lol
Seems my front brakes are really grabbing but my rears arnt,