5 lug swap into 92 Fox

Ok. So I checked the way I put the 'T' fitting in. I have it connected under the pv's rear outlet with both front lines coming off the 'T'. The rear brake line is connected to the front most outlet of the pv. I know I ran across a diagram somewhere that showed this way. I would'nt have just pulled that out of my a**. It's located in the same end just under instead of between. Only problem now is that I reflared the pass line with the smaller 3/8 fitting to fit the 'T'.:( What do you think, bite the bullet and put the larger fitting back on and go with the way Maximum MS shows in their instructions? Does the 95 Cobra mc have the same fittings that allow the stock lines from the pv to screw right in or are they different sizes or switched?

• Sponsors (?)

The 95 cobra mc has the same port sizes as the v6 master...but switched. In other words take a look at the two fittings going into the mc. They are two different sizes. The cobra sizes are switched from what you would be looking at. on the conra mc...the large fitting is the rear.

I actually have these parts in hand. I am changingmout my mc to the cobra mc. So your tee fitting is under the prop valve? So in other words the two fittings to the mc go to the top of the prop valve right?

If so, there might be an easy way to do it.

I do know one fitting you need is an Edelman 267000. It will let you use the rear existing line to the mc.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Edel..._gc.r_pw.&fp=62a3a64db93c93d9&biw=981&bih=661

The other line you need to swap out with 1 line from either the mmbak-7 or mmbak-8 kit. I need to look and confirm first.

Edit: just checked, and it looks like I purchased the mmbak-8 kit and used only 1 line from the kit in addition to the fitting above. I'll need to check the parts out and confirm first though

Both lines from the mc are going to the pv just the way it came and I put the tee under the rear port of the pv. The two front wheels are connected to the tee. Rear line is still in factory spot on the pv. At this point, if I need to replace stuff anyway, would it be possible for you to give me a shopping list and instructions? Seems there are a myriad of ways on the net. I just happened to pick the wrong one maybe?

Here we go. I got this information directly from Jack Hidley, one of MM's tech support guys. I know he put in some work to figure this out for me, so it's nice to get it on the net for other people to see and use. Must give credit for the info to him

SO, installing a 94/95 Cobra MC, when you already have either the 1993 Cobra 1" bore MC or 94/95 GT/V6 1 1/16" MC installed on a fox with a non-standard 3-2 convserion.

This assumes you have your T for the front brakes at the prop valve, or below it. The two lines from the top of the prop valve to the MC are untouched.

Here is the standard MMBAK-8 kit. Comes with 3 lines and a T-fitting. Unfortunately, for this setup, you are only going to use 1 line..the other 2 and tee will collect dust
attachment.php

Here is a 1994-1995 Cobra Master CYlinder, 15/16" bore. Note the fitting sizes are opposite of the GT/V6 and 1993 Cobra MC (large fitting at rear). Also shown is the Edelman 267000 fitting

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00149.jpg
    DSC00149.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00150.JPG
    DSC00150.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 405
And here's what you do with them.

Edelman 267000 fitting at the rear. Now, the stock line will connect into this fitting. It's an M10-1.0 ISO to M12-1.0 ISO adapter fitting.

On the other side, you will use one of the lines from the MMBAK-8 kit. The fitting at the MC is a M10-1.0 ISO and the connection to the prop valve is 7/16"-24.

attachment.php

NOW, if you try to use the entire MMBAK-8 kit, this is what you get. The line that originally connected under the stock FOX MC threads into the T fitting. And both other lines connect to the prop valve. That's why i said if you could return your lines to the stock routing, you can use this kit as is...otherwise you need to go with the method above

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00151.JPG
    DSC00151.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC00152.JPG
    DSC00152.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 305
What I'm reading into this is the large fitted line from the MM kit is used for the rear larger fitting on the mc. The edelman adapter in the smaller front port of the mc allows for the use of the larger stock line. Seems a bummer to pay 40 bucks for that one line. Ugh.

What I'm reading into this is the large fitted line from the MM kit is used for the rear larger fitting on the mc. The edelman adapter in the smaller front port of the mc allows for the use of the larger stock line. Seems a bummer to pay 40 bucks for that one line. Ugh.

Check the post above. You may not have seen it.

Fitting goes in the rear port allowing you to plumb the stock factory fitting into the fitting. The front line is replaced by one of the lines from the kit.

Yes i know $40 for 1 line out of the kit is a bummer...but i searched for another method and short of cutting and flaring your own line, not much other option.

If you can do bubble flares, you might be able to do it. The M10-1.0 ISO 7/16"-24 nuts can be had for cheap.

There is another option.

The 1993 Cobra MC. Only thing needed would be the MC as it's a direct swap.

Technically, it's not OEM. It's a 1" bore MC so putting them on a car with 94-98 Cobra brakes would slightly firm up the pedal over the 94/95 cobra MC.

HOWEVER,

in 1994, ford almost put the 1" bore MC, but the engineer in charge of braking felt cold pad performance was severely lacking. As a result, they downsized the MC bore a 1/16" and it gave them the mechanical advantage needed for good braking.

ALSO

The M-2300-K Ford put outs to put 94-98 Cobra brakes on a fox Mustang originally came with the 94-98 Cobra calipers and a 1" bore 1993 Cobra MC.

Most guys these days run the 99-04 cobra calipers which are larger (40.5mm vs 38mm). As a result, the larger 1" bore MC is more suited for the larger calipers, and it's an easy install. So the majority of fox owners with cobra brakes run the 99+ calipers and 1" bore MC (myself included). Thats why i asked you to confirm if you had the 94-98 cobra styl brakes.

SO, the choice is yours. 94/95 cobra MC and the above adapters for an OEM install, or an easier install using the 1993 Cobra MC which will give you a slightly firmer pedal, but evidence that it is managable.

Option is up to you.

The reason why the GT/V6 MC feels firm to you now is because the 94-98 GT/V6 calipers were single piston 66mm calipers. Doing a little math, there is MORE surface area in a single 66mm circle, than two 38mm pistons combined. As a result, the MC had to be larger, so it is 1 1/16". Stick a smaller caliper on, and the pedal firms up. If you were to actually put a larger caliper (in terms of fluid surface area) on, the pedal would get softer. Hopefully that explains some basic hydraulic principles.

Quick update. I found the Cobra mc at Summit for 54.95. Got it ordered and will install leaving my tee connection where it is unless you think I should move it up. Thanks for all your input. I hope others see this thread first, it would help eliminate a lot of frustration.

Sorry....

....it's been awhile and there never seems to be an end to projects not of my own doing. The cobra mc was the perfect answer, and I really appreciate the time everyone took to school me. I'm glad I kept the 98 spindles. The back wheels could be in a half inch but nothing is rubbing and since I've replaced every part with new, this thing corners like it's on rails. Still have some vibration coming from the back while turning. I'm convinced the trac-loc is toast. Have all the parts in now, just trying to get upi the nerve to tackle it. I'm really on the fence, but after getting thru all the rest, can this be that hard? Thanks to all who gave advice.