5 or 6 speed versus built C4 - discuss

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what you want to do with the car. If it's going to be mainly street with the occasional trip to the track,and you like banging the gears go with the manual. If it's going to be a strip monster and not see much street use go with the C4. Make sure dead sure if you go with a built C4 that you find someont that knows their stuff. It's easy to screw up a performance build on an auto and then you'll be out all that money.

For me...

If were talking a mid 9 second car here.

Street with some Track: D&D 6-speed.

Track With some Street: Proshifted Tremec with overdrive left in.

Track Only: Tough choice, but either a Proshifted tremec sans O/D, or a Jericho.

I personally will not own or race an auto. I know how good they are, how consistent they are, and how much fun people claim they can be (I have driven fast versions of lots of trannys) but for me, I cannot see myself without having to stab the clutch and slam the next gear!

I personally will not own or race an auto. I know how good they are, how consistent they are, and how much fun people claim they can be but for me, I cannot see myself without having to stab the clutch and slam the next gear!
Agreed. Stick all the way. I don't care what anyone says, I've driven stalled autos, and they will just never compare to slamming your own gears.
I don't know how accurate magazine articles are, but the C4 might not be faster as some may think. One of the mustang mags recently did an article comparing a built, high stall C4 to a tremec 3550. In the same car, changing nothing but the tranny, the 5 speed was 3-4? tenths, and 4 mph faster IIRC.

I will also add, for anyone who has not driven a proshifted transmission, when you start talking consistency, one with a good driver can be almost as consistent as an auto. Unless you break something you will not miss a shift, at least in the few I have driven.