5 speed vs's automatic

• Sponsors (?)

LOL, I love 5 speeds...when I was in high school!.....lol It used to be fun to spin the tires but not at the track or even messing with ls1's on the street! With a 3200 stall a shift kit and full bolt ons........I havn't lost to a 5 speed yet! even with slicks! Plus it is much eaisier on the drive train in the long run too! Not as much load off the line when launching! The 4r70w has a super low 1rst and 2nd gear ratio which makes it fun to drive! Besides how many 8.0 1/8th mile 2v's with just bolt ons and no cams do you know....??? A 5 speed may hit that type of number.....but my auto hits it within a thousanth every time! I love traction!

"ED"

Thomas91169, I believe you said something to this effect:
let me run a automatic 2002 GT with the same mods, and I will decimate you.

I don't want to be an ******* or anything, but making blanket statements like that pretty much ensures that you will be proven wrong sooner or later. Take my car, for example. 2001 GT with the 4R70W, mods and time are in my sig. I can scan and upload the timeslip if you need proof.

With all that being said, I still wish I had gotten a manual:rlaugh:

mustangkid05 said:
what do you guys like better and why?....i like my 5 speed, because it seems alot faster then an auto, but i like autos for traffic and on hills and stuff like that

romaine
you have to be able to not roll back on hills with your 5 sp before you can ask this question :D

Flghtmstr1 said:
Thomas91169, I believe you said something to this effect:

I don't want to be an ******* or anything, but making blanket statements like that pretty much ensures that you will be proven wrong sooner or later. Take my car, for example. 2001 GT with the 4R70W, mods and time are in my sig. I can scan and upload the timeslip if you need proof.

With all that being said, I still wish I had gotten a manual:rlaugh:

I feel the same way. It almost seems that i would need to be a very good driver to match my times with a 5 speed I have not seen many 5 speeds match my times with similar mods. But i dont go to a lot of tracks and dont go very often so maybe i just havent seen enough or met a decent driver yet.

And i still wish i had gotten a 5 speed

I like the 5-speed for playing around (clutch dumps, agressive down shifts, bragging rights, etc) and the ability to ring out your exhaust note whenever you feel like it. For any type of racing and those days that you're just too damn tired and don't feel like shifting, nothing beats putting it in "D" though. :D

I have had an auto and a 5 spd both. I love my 5 spd I feel like I have so much more control than with an auto and to me driving never gets old when I'm shifting through gears.

I've had both.. and I LOVE my 5-spd. I love having control of where my rpm's are and what gear i'm in.. and being able to throw it down a gear and let it scream :D

I drove an auto '00 GT and was not impressed at all... It felt horridly slow

However, I drove an auto '06 GT and it was awesome.. It wasn't quite as crisp as i'd like to have an auto but it was a LLLOOTTT better than the 99-04 auto GT's.

the problem I always had with the 04 and older stangs with 5 and 6 speeds is that I had to put my seat too close to the front of the car to reach the shifter when shifting into the gears that were farthest away- especially when you have a helmet on at the track- my helmet would be almost against the windshield. Also, with the shift points managed by my chip my shifts are very crisp your head snaps back and the shift is very quick.

thomas91169 said:
let me run a automatic 2002 GT with the same mods, and i will decimate you. stock for stock auto's run slower, and until you mod the tranny(which costs more than slapping a short throw and good clutch on a manual and gains you less), there STILL isnt a benefit.
Don't be too sure of that. Stock for stock and even with a few minor bolt-ons between two cars, the 5-speed car is likely to still come out ahead (you are correct) because of the drive train loss and gear spacing associated with a stock auto, but a properly (rear end) geared 4R70W equipped car, with the J-mod tune, matched to a quality triple disk 3,500-4,000 stall converter would shut any 5-speed owner up in a hurry. At the track....on the street....whatever! Yes you’re right a converter and modified valve body is going to cost a little more than a good clutch and aftermarket shifter for a 5-speed car…..but when all is said and done, you’re also running faster and more consistently than the stick car after these improvements as well.

My 6-speed is more fun. It's faster when accelerating from a roll. The auto is much easier in 1/4 racing, but I still think I can (with the right tires and good driving) run lower ETs and definitely trap higher than my previous auto + 4.10s setup. At my current hp/tq level, a manual would be faster than a stock (not modded or built) auto.

I said i prefer my auto over my 5 speed mustang(gone now)... but the rebuilt auto has VERY firm shifts and the 2800 stall TC is definately high enough for street tires, and so far has destroyed the competition.... Every car i owned before this one was a stick, but an auto is perfect as a daily driver.

i'd want a stick too if when I felt like flipping through the gears I didn't have a 2005 R1 to sit on... but i do.