50 Amp Switch for Taurus Fan

1989MustangLX

Apr 7, 2005
Canada
I bought a "Heavy Duty" toggle switch to run my Taurus fan for now. I cannot afford the DCC unit, but I wll be purchasing one eventually. The switch says that it can take a constant 50 amps. Will I be ok to run the fan right off the switch? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Low speed should work, but the start up load on high speed might take it out (I would run progressive switches anyhow - most fans are not intended to go from off to high speed anyhow).

Good luck.

My question would be:
Do you really want 50 amps coursing through your firewall and behind your dash into the passenger compartment?

God forbid the switch did melt down or a wire shorted or chaffed. I would take the extra time and use that switch to activate an underhood relay and leave the heavy juice in the engine bay.

I'm with Daggar 100%. You do not want 50+amps running through your dash like that. Go spend $2 on 2 relays(one high, one low), hook a signal wire to the switch that switches the relays on and off and have the 50amps run through the relays.

Both Zach and Dags are 100% right. I dont bother trying to convince people of which way to do stuff anymore, so I did not.

A relay(s) is/are the way to go, for sure.

The low speed draw of a 3.8L taurus fan is ~10-15 amps. I dont know what High speed draws.

Good luck.

Actually it's more a matter of time that the switch melts or burns out. There have been a lot of recals and such over the years because the factory wires things straight through the switches to save $1 on every car.

The original poster is wanting to run the fan temporarily till he gets his controller. While not the best way to do it, running the low speed through a switch or switch and 2 dollar SPDT relay should work (we know all the folks on here who do it). :)