500 dollar 86 LX convertable 3.8 issue

500dollar86

Jul 4, 2021
Ithaca mi
Newly registered. Not sure where to post question, so just throw it out there.
86 Stang 3.8 will start, idle. Sometimes rough idle, other times sounds ok. Give it gas, wants to die right away.
Previous owner gave up on it. Fuel lines were rotted. I broke them in half effortlessly. Replaced all. New tank, pump, filter, tps,coil,dist. Cap,plugs,wires. Have new injectors and throttle body gasket. 5.0 swap future plans if I can't get this going.
Previous owner could get it to go a mile or 2, then would have to relieve shrader valve, then it would another mile or so...until he got it home and parked it under the trees.
I will be at least the third hand trying to get it down the road. Maybe i will fail as well, but gotta try before deciding to swap out.

• Sponsors (?)

Not too many 3.8 V6 members around here, that engine was used in the 83-86 mustangs, dropped then picked up again in the early 90s with some changes.
CFI was available on some, is yours CFI?
This may help you some,

Back in the day I had an '83 hatch with a 3.8. It was a 2 bbl carb. It ran like crap when I bought it ($500). It would start, idle/run REALLY rough and stall as soon as you put it in gear. I ended up replacing the long block and all was good. When we dug into the old engine to see if we could determine why it didn't run right, we found the cam had snapped in the middle. The car was basically running on the front half of the engine only. Later I swapped in a 302 2bbl/AOD from a mid 80's Crown Vic.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Thought i had it solved. Massive carbon buildup leading to egr. Had to chisel it away, then dremel tool. Replaced gasket, which was shot. Hah, still no good. Wont even stay running. 5.0 swap if i can't get it figured out. 3.8 is kicking my ass