50resto weatherstrips....leaking.

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
Anybody have any experience with 50resto on-body weather strips? I replaced my torn OEM ones with the set from 50resto, and they don't seem thick enough. With the pass door closed, you can fully see light between the door and the weather strip. I moved the door striker in a tad, to try to bring the door in closer...but it still doesn't seal properly.

Just curious if anybody else has had a simular experience. Maybe it's just me, but so far everything I have purchaced from 50resto sucks.

• Sponsors (?)

I really like the ones I got from Autozone, they are made by Metro Molded, Supersoft http://www.metrommp.com/ They got mine the next day and no charge for shipping!!
If your seeing a gap, are ur door bushings worn? Open the door about 2" and then see if it moves up and down. If it does, your door bushings/pins need replaced to get the door in the correct position so there is no gap or leaking. This was the culprit on mine. Good luck.

On one of my cars, the window frame was bent out away from the car. One could see daylight when sitting in the car looking out. I gently pulled the upper part of the window frame in and solved the problem...

yours may need a slight adjustment there as well...worth a look..

Jim

I ordered an apillar weather strip from them for my 92 vert and the gasket looked right, was labled right, and all that. However in the end the stripping was just way to long and did not really meet the a pillar well at all. Usually 50resto is pretty good about stuff but this time I'm not happy. Hey glowstang what all where you able to order? and was it a decent price? Oh yeah the top corner doesn't meet my top very well either.

Yea, it is possible that the frame itself is bent. I will have to look into that.

The hinges and bushings are all fine, I replaced them. The door itself sits fine...except now it closes a little too far in because I moved the striker in hopes of making the door seal better.

I will try bending the frame in a little and seeing if that fixes the problem.

I put the 50resto on the rear hatch and it was about 1/8" thinner on each side so you could actually see where the OEM weather stripping sat. It looked terrible and I quickly realized the quality was not there. The only time I buy from 50resto is when I'm sure it is a ford part that I cannot get anywhere else. I just got tired of that "John Drake" reproduction crap.

Yea, I am getting that feeling. So far almost everything I have purchaced from them just had horrible quality. Door arm rest pads, center console armrest pad, outside door handles, inside door handles, weatherstrips. The only things that were worth the money was the interior screw kit.

AW0L said:
I ordered an apillar weather strip from them for my 92 vert and the gasket looked right, was labled right, and all that. However in the end the stripping was just way to long and did not really meet the a pillar well at all. Usually 50resto is pretty good about stuff but this time I'm not happy. Hey glowstang what all where you able to order? and was it a decent price? Oh yeah the top corner doesn't meet my top very well either.

I have only tried the door seals, but they have door seals, hatch seals, t top side rail, flocked window channel, and trunk seals. The site that i had in my first post, you can go there and go to online catalogue and actually order from them. Door seals were $53.45 and hatch seals $42. I am pretty sure it was $35 or 36 when I bought them thru autozone though.

Metro mouldings

glowstang93 said:
I really like the ones I got from Autozone, they are made by Metro Molded, Supersoft http://www.metrommp.com/ They got mine the next day and no charge for shipping!!
If your seeing a gap, are ur door bushings worn? Open the door about 2" and then see if it moves up and down. If it does, your door bushings/pins need replaced to get the door in the correct position so there is no gap or leaking. This was the culprit on mine. Good luck.

You're on the mark!

Door hinge pin kits and Metro mouldings purchased from Advance Auto did the trick with my son's 89 hatchback.

BTW They also offerd new door strickers and their bushings alone, if needed.

Dad

I bought the 5.0 Resto weatherstrip and had trouble with water leaks at the top back corners where the radius is tight and the weatherstrip kinks there. So I took the weatherstrip back off and fished a small piece of rubber vacuum line up into the weatherstrip right where the tight radius is and that fixed it, its mint now, no leaks. I think it was something like 3/16" vacuum line.

tunedin302 said:
I put the 50resto on the rear hatch and it was about 1/8" thinner on each side so you could actually see where the OEM weather stripping sat. It looked terrible and I quickly realized the quality was not there. The only time I buy from 50resto is when I'm sure it is a ford part that I cannot get anywhere else. I just got tired of that "John Drake" reproduction crap.

Why did I just find this out??:(

I just ordered the hatch kit from 50resto. It comes with a striker, hatch supports and new weatherstrips for the hatch. I'm hoping to stop the rattle and the weatherstrips needed replacing. Now I'm worried that I made the wrong choice. It'll get here Tues. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Oh yea, my trunk seal did work perfect.

I think I am going to try the vac line trick...basically stuffing the weatherstrip. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Fett said:
Oh yea, my trunk seal did work perfect.

I think I am going to try the vac line trick...basically stuffing the weatherstrip. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Yeah, put the weatherstrip on the car real quick and mark where that tight corner is then pull it back off the car. Then fish about a 6" long piece of hose so its evenly placed over that corner area you marked. I sprayed a little silicone spray on the hose and inside the weatherstrip so everything would move easier.

tunedin302 said:
I bought 50 resto weatherstrip in the past, compared it to the OEM and promptly returned it. I bought new OEM to replace mine.

I ended up doing the same exact thing. I bought a set of OEM and compared them to the 50resto ones.....man what a HUGE difference. I replaced both sides with OEM and they work MUCH better.

Then today my drivers side lock actuator took a dump. I originally bought a set of the 50resto ones last year, and the RH side crapped out after 6 months or so, so I replace it with an aftermarket one from Circuit City. Now this one is dead, and I plan on doing the same thing.

So that makes it roughly 90% of the 50resto stuff I have purchaced just flat out sucks.

Door weatherstrips: :notnice:
Trunk weatherstrip: :nice:
doorlock actuators: :notnice:
door armrest pads: :notnice:
center console pad: :notnice:
interior screw kit: :nice:
carpet: :notnice: ...but works

I just think that peticular style is not designed well, with the exposed screw and tiny rollers. I went with a $29 one from Circuit City that works great. It took some enginuity to get it to work...but it is quiet, and has nothing that can be exposed to the elements.