5lug 10.5" wide wheel fitment questions?? front/back

stackz

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2001
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
I've searched around but I'm still too damn confused about this brake voodoo.

anyway, I'm doing a 5lug swap on my 88 4cyl turbo mustang and I'm looking at buying a set of nice fat wheels for it.

I've got the stuff for the 5lug swap already:

Front: 4cylinder ranger rotors
Rear: Ranger axles w/mark VII brake setup

I went this way to get 4wheel disc brakes AND to keep the stock foxbody track width instead of pushing it out 1.5" with the sn95 axles, etc.

These are the wheels that I would "like" to run on the car with this brake setup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7916229985&category=43957

I've tried measuring my backspacing and all using the ruler/tape measure method but I just can't get it straight in my head for some reason. Basically, on a stock ride height vehicle such as mine, will these wheels physically fit or will they bottom out against the frame or something like that? I don't care if they stick out past the fender lips or anything like that but I don't want the rim physically grinding on the frame or shock or anything.

What size tires would you recommend on them that would look good, etc??

I hear for the 10.5" rims that you want to use something like 315/35's on them or something like that but I can't tell as I've never run a rim this huge before??

please help me out guys I'm really ready to order my wheels and tires but I'm just too confused on all this wheel/tire voodoo. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I think your going to run into issues with those rims.

A 15" x 10" is very tight to fit under the rear of a fox with a 6.5 backspace (the large backspace keeps the tire tucked away from the fender lip). I don't even think you can get one on the front.

Your 88 also has smaller fenders then a 91 up that came with 16" rims, something to consider.

I put a set of 17" x 8" COBRA R's with 245/45/17 on a guys 88, they were tight up front but still cleared, only got a little rub with the wheels locked all the way. Stock 4 lug and brake set-up, stock springs.

so would you think that if I used sn95 brakes all around it would help or not?

I know on the back it will move both sides out like 1.5" or 1.75" (cant remember which) and I'm pretty sure the spindles/brakes up front will move the front out some.

If I have to roll my fenders so be it but I figure since I've got stock ride height I won't have to worry much about the tires hitting the outside of the fenderwells.

It's just the inner parts like the framerail/shocks/springs touching is what I'm worried about.

I figure someone around here has to have tried this combo or something very similar to it...

The other wheels I've been looking at are the 2000 cobra R's but they're all 18x9's and I just don't want to go with that diameter of wheel since tire prices skyrocket for 18's+

If you like the Cobra Rs then maybe you can save a lot of money by not going to 5 lug. There's lots of places out there that have those rims in 4 lug and 17x9. It got to be THE most plentiful knock off out there these days.

www.brothersperformance.com is just one of hundreds. $675.00 for a set of 4.

no, I don't want 4lug, I'm doing the 5lug conversion regardless. It's something I want to do and nothing will change my mind on that.

I just want to know if any of the foxbody guys have successfully put wheels this big on their fox without having to minitub them in order to clear the frame and all.

It doesn't matter to me if the tires stick out past the fenders or not as I've got a full 2.5" of clearance with 45 series tires on 17's (as tested with a friends 4lug cobra R's (like I said, everyone has a pair haha).

I just want to hear from someone who's used them so I know whether to use my ranger axles or my sn95 axles....or some other combo for the 5lug.