5lug REAR disc conversion

1991vert

10 Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Ludlow, MA
i want to do 11.65" discs in the rear and i have heard when you use the stock fox length axles, your front wheels will stock out further than the rears? is this true?

im using 94 spindles in the front and all 4 of my wheels have the same offset as far as i know(24mm). are the axle housings identical in the 94-95 mustang to the fox 8.8" axle housing? hopefully someone can answer my questions because i dont want to drive around with my front wheels sticking out further than my rear wheels, it looks stupid. and i dont want to run wheel spacers if i dont have to, i want it done right.

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

1991vert said:
i want to do 11.65" discs in the rear and i have heard when you use the stock fox length axles, your front wheels will stock out further than the rears? is this true?

im using 94 spindles in the front and all 4 of my wheels have the same offset as far as i know(24mm). are the axle housings identical in the 94-95 mustang to the fox 8.8" axle housing? hopefully someone can answer my questions because i dont want to drive around with my front wheels sticking out further than my rear wheels, it looks stupid. and i dont want to run wheel spacers if i dont have to, i want it done right.
thanks!
The 94-95 Mustang axle housings are the same length as the earlier models. The 94-95 axles are 3/4" longer per side than the earlier models.

See http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/ for all you could ever want to know about Mustang brakes.

5LugFoxFanatic said:
I use 96-98 spindles that stick out further than 94-95, by a whopping 8mm, and SN95 axles. I just upgraded to the 11.65 brakes in rear as well. It looks fine to me.

maybe it was the offset on his wheels. mine are 24 all the way around

p.s. the GIF image in your profile is funny as hell hahaha

I like the extra width out back as it fills the fenderwells out nicely, 94/95 Spindles say that they are the same width as stock, but from my experience they are slightly wider.

96SVTpilot said:

so which axles should i get? fox length or sn95?

The '94-98 cars rear axle shafts are .75" longer than the stock axles on the '87-93 cars. Be sure you note this longer axle if you are running 9" wide wheels because you will need the wheels with the extra offset like the M179 Ford '95 Cobra Rs (6.45" 36mm) -- which are now discontinued! You can use the 8" wide wheels without issue, but if you want 9" wide wheels you need to convert the brakes to use the stock rear track with Ranger axle shafts!

i have 18x9 (24mm offset on all 4) wheels all around. what do i do?

then i find this...

The 1995 Ford Cobra R wheel comes in two different offsets, 24 mm and 36 mm. The original Cobra R wheel, the R58, has a 24 mm backspacing which is good for all four corners of an SN-95 car. The R58 also fits well in front of a Fox body car that has the Cobra brake upgrade. But the rear of a Fox M2300-K car requires use a later model, the M179, which has 36 mm of backspacing, and therefore places the wheel 12 mm further inboard to clear the fender well. The R58 and M179 wheels are now discontinued by Ford! Keep this in mind with your conversions. I would suggest to keep the stock rear track to so you can run the aftermarket copies of the R58s on all 4 corners.

so 24mm backspacing should work on all 4 corners? what about it being a 9" wide rim? will the rear tires be sucked in a little because it says i should use 36mm backspacing?

could the offset of the wheel and the length of an s95 axle cancel eachother out?

1991vert said:
ttt

still looking for a straight answer

It sounds like you are making this more complicated than it is. All the information you need is out there, you just need to search for it. A little basic math will tell you everything, before buying any parts. For instance:

1) Know what you are starting with, ie. stock fox length axles/ponys with xxx backspacing and xxx track length (wheel to wheel)

2) Decide where you would like your wheel/tire combo to sit after modifications.

3) Do the math, for both stock length and SN 95 axles. Gather a sampling of wheels you would consider and calculate where they will sit based on wheel/tire size and wheel backspacing and offset. Once you have calculated where they will sit, do a mock up on your car and line up where the hypothetical wheel/tire will sit. This will not be perfect but it will be very close.

Word of warning- decide what you can live with as far as the wheels being tucked, and plan accordingly. Not everyone likes the joe dirt look with tire hanging outside the fender. They say the 94/95 spindles keep the stock track but mine pushed the front wheels outboard ever so slightly- to the point where if I were running 9" wheels they might be sticking out more than I would prefer. Good luck :flag:

some resources:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=296569

96SVTpilot said:
It sounds like you are making this more complicated than it is. All the information you need is out there, you just need to search for it. A little basic math will tell you everything, before buying any parts. For instance:

1) Know what you are starting with, ie. stock fox length axles/ponys with xxx backspacing and xxx track length (wheel to wheel)

2) Decide where you would like your wheel/tire combo to sit after modifications.

3) Do the math, for both stock length and SN 95 axles. Gather a sampling of wheels you would consider and calculate where they will sit based on wheel/tire size and wheel backspacing and offset. Once you have calculated where they will sit, do a mock up on your car and line up where the hypothetical wheel/tire will sit. This will not be perfect but it will be very close.

Word of warning- decide what you can live with as far as the wheels being tucked, and plan accordingly. Not everyone likes the joe dirt look with tire hanging outside the fender. They say the 94/95 spindles keep the stock track but mine pushed the front wheels outboard ever so slightly- to the point where if I were running 9" wheels they might be sticking out more than I would prefer. Good luck :flag:

some resources:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=296569

i dont know how to do the math, that's why im asking for answers. i just want to avoid running spacers. that kid joe was a posterchild for the reason not to run spacers. i dont want to see my wheel go flying by me...

Okay, plain and simple, for the rear if you're going to use 9" wheels with 24mm offset, use ranger axles. If you are going to use 9" wheels with 36mm offset, use SN95 axles. That will give you the same track width as stock. For the front, 94-95 are supposed to be the same width as stock fox, 96-up are supposed to be wider so, 24mm for 94-95 and 36mm for 96-up.

Now, that should clear up what you need. Wheel offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel. A larger positive offset moves the wheel farther inside the fender.

Repostyle said:
Okay, plain and simple, for the rear if you're going to use 9" wheels with 24mm offset, use ranger axles. If you are going to use 9" wheels with 36mm offset, use SN95 axles. That will give you the same track width as stock. For the front, 94-95 are supposed to be the same width as stock fox, 96-up are supposed to be wider so, 24mm for 94-95 and 36mm for 96-up.

Now, that should clear up what you need. Wheel offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel. A larger positive offset moves the wheel farther inside the fender.

i dont see why someone couldn't have posted this as a response when i first made the thread. you are the man.