5spd or C4????

NOSNotch

Founding Member
Oct 20, 2001
South Jersey
I'm about ready to put the motor in my project coupe and I'm not sure which trans i'm gonna go with. For a mostly street car do you guys prefer a T-5/Tremec or an automatic like a C4? If not your opinion what do you run in your car? Thanks for any opinions guys

Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

Stock auto vs. stock manual, the manual is the clear winner especailly on a stock car. Auto's are heavier, and put more drag on the engine. Manuals have clear advantages and disavantages. One of the advantages is throttle response because the engine is directly connected to the axels, while with an auto, you have to wait a second. If you go with the C4, make shure it is a built one. I would go for a manual valve body. When the power gets really high, the time it takes to shift can put you car lengths behind and manuals are harder to keep consistant. When I get the shifts right on my T-5, it sounds like an auto because I just jab the clutch enough to jam it in the next gear, the clutch doesn't go all the way in, but it is easy to mess up, and when launching, it's hard to just release the clutch just right or it spinns all over the place.

I drove a Monte Carlo SS with a manual valve body and a nice stall. When I went to shift from one gear to another, it was such a fast shift, as soon as I tapped the lever it was in the next gear. Downshifting was the same story. The only thing I didn't like is that until it hit over 2500rpm's it was dead due to the converter, but when it did it snapped my neck back.

it depends on your motor and driving style.....if your motor is stock,go with a t5....if motor is beefed up,go with the c4....i switched from a 5speed to a c4 and my car is faster,more consistent etc....i had the c4 built locally from a reputable guy,2500 stall,servo change,transpak kit,extra clutch bands...when this tranny shifts it'll damn near give you whiplash....i currently run 4:10 gears but that's GOTTA change!!!! think i'll try a set of 3:55's...

well, in my car i run a stick, and i wouldn't have it any other way. i feel more in control with the five speed and IMHO it's just a lot more fun to bang gears. i would never buy an automatic muscle car. the only way i'd go auto is if i were running in the 9's and went to the track often. then i'd do it for the consistency of the auto.

-steve