$6,000 To Spend On Stang !!!!

mustangman9812

10 Year Member
Jan 14, 2004
Mars Hill, NC
:D I currently have 6,000 dollars to spend on my 98 Mustang GT Automatic. Mods are in sig. I would at least like to do a forged bottom end. I only have 6,000 dollars and want to get every ounce of power out of that but not going over 6,000 tune and all.

Lets hear the setups

• Sponsors (?)

Well depending on how you go about getting the forged bottom end that could swamp the entire $6000 budget you have. All VT forged shortblocks are more than 6 grand. If you wanted you could purchase forged pistons/rings/rods from somewhere for around 1300, throw in a balanced forged crankshaft for another 800, and try install it yourself or pay someone a pretty penny to install it for you. Depending on the install price for that, you'd probably expect to spend around...4500? Then you could try do a custom turbo setup by fabbing most of the stuff yourself and purchasing the parts off ebay. If you went that route you'd probably be able to get some nice power out of the car for right about 6 grand.

I can do any install myself so install prices dont matter to me. I was maybe thinking - Forged Rods, Pistons, Stock Crank (Because can handle 450hp), PI Heads, VT Stage 2 Blower Cams, 42lb Injectors, 75mm Throttle Body, Plenum, 255lph Pump, L/T's, SLP Mufflers. Just get it ready for a Blower.

Dusstbuster said:
Well depending on how you go about getting the forged bottom end that could swamp the entire $6000 budget you have. All VT forged shortblocks are more than 6 grand. If you wanted you could purchase forged pistons/rings/rods from somewhere for around 1300, throw in a balanced forged crankshaft for another 800, and try install it yourself or pay someone a pretty penny to install it for you. Depending on the install price for that, you'd probably expect to spend around...4500? Then you could try do a custom turbo setup by fabbing most of the stuff yourself and purchasing the parts off ebay. If you went that route you'd probably be able to get some nice power out of the car for right about 6 grand.

Man, none of VT engine shortblocks are over 6k. Their billet 324 BB/Strocker is only $4995, and it is the most expensive one listed on their site.

jstreet0204 said:
Man, none of VT engine shortblocks are over 6k. Their billet 324 BB/Strocker is only $4995, and it is the most expensive one listed on their site.

:doh: I was thinking longblocks. Either way if he's going to do it himself it'd be cheaper to just buy the forged internals and install them himself. Instead of doing the PI heads get your NPI heads P&P'd if you want to go that route, get some blower cams, and either super or turbocharge it. If you DO go with the PI heads make and plan on boosting it get some pistons that will lower the CR back down to the 9's.

What exactly do you want out of it? Does it have to be supercharged?
You could build a nice NA setup and add nitrous to it.

Y ou can get a nice set of Forged pistons and rods for about 1000 and have them installed locally/block machined/balanced for a total of about $1500
P&P'd heads @ $2000
cams @ $550
PI Intake $150
misc install parts $300
Nice Nitrous kit $1000
Tune/Chip $500-700

still under 6K and capable of 500rwhp

I'm thinking 42#ers is going too be too much injector till you have FI. Also just me but if your going with a built bottom end big HP numbers are what your shooting for so I think you'll be maxing 42#'s out quick.
Also if big power is your goal. I'd suggest buildin ghte car as a whole. Most suggest to start in the rear and work forward.

Now having said that and since you don't show any mods in your sig.
gears 3.73 would be my suggestion.
LT's and OR midpipe Hookers clear Auto tranny's
AL 4.6 block. there are some junkyards you can get them CHEAP at. Then built it.
Personally I'd go with a forged crank, rods and pistons. SHop around I've seen some real good deals in mags on packages before. ie sub 2k for everything.
Intake - either a PI, or one of the newer aftermarket ones. ( odds are if trickflow releases theirs you can score a PI cheap)
75mm tb
cams. either blower or turbo depending on your choice of poison.
And get it all tuned.
with all that plus misc machine shop fees and etc should push the 6k barrier of course if you shop around and don't blow your wad right away should be able to do it cheaper.

Then get something to force air in there.

i agree with getting the forged crank. i know if i went blown im gonna wanna push 500+ on the motor. id would go with 3.73's or 4.10's as well. i got 4.10's and love them. but if i was going FI then 3.73's is the most im gonna wanna do. LT's, off road X or H, the PI swap is nice. C&L power tube and upper plenum ( not as good as accufab but cheaper and still do good). if you do PI heads get them ported while your at it.

Drive up to modular powerhouse....Tim will install a 2.1L Kennebell and tune it for $6000. You would be ditching the CRAPPY NPI intake....I think you would make around 340-350 to the wheels.

And what do you mean "mods in sig" ? There are none there LOL.

You know i have got a 351W laying here for the money and power might as was put that in my car with this T-5 i have laying here and not mess with this stupid 4.6 that makes only 300hp.
I can buy a stroker it for the 351 for $1200 heads for $1,000, Carb it and be done and add my old nitrous setup to it and leave people in the dust.