6.17 gears too much?

• Sponsors (?)

nickthegenius said:
Oh, she got one of the rare 2v Mach I's?

The auto Mach1's only rev to 5800 rpm, things like having a cast crank in it instead of a forged etc. lowers the rev limiter - I assume the camshaft is different as well, but no sure about that one. So, umm yea its not the same as the cobra motor - although it is a 4v

mdvaldosta said:
The auto Mach1's only rev to 5800 rpm, things like having a cast crank in it instead of a forged etc. lowers the rev limiter - I assume the camshaft is different as well, but no sure about that one. So, umm yea its not the same as the cobra motor - although it is a 4v

Why would it rev even lower than a GT?

It's the same engine, just different cranks. The limiter is probably at 6050, same as a GT.

The Mach 1 engine is the Cobra engine. The only differences are the cast crank for the autos and some different cam profiles (truck exhaust cam I believe).

mdvaldosta said:

No, my friend's Mach 1 doesn't redline until 7k, same as the Cobra. It's the same motor as the Cobra, just without the blower.

Close on the motor. It does share the 03 cobra heads, but it has a one off intake, 10.0:1 compression, and Navigator intake cams + custom exhaust cams. It shares this motor with only one other vehicle, the Marauder. Autos cut off at 5800, manuals stop at 6800.

bdcardinal said:
not even the top fuelers use that much gear. if i remember correctly they use like 2.73s or something like that.

wow, i have the same diff ratio as a top fueler in my 88. now if i can just find one of their used engines cheap :rolleyes:

First of all...WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU GET 6.17?????

Second of all...The 03 Mach 1s have a DOHC 32v motor which is a cobra motor. The only difference is that it is not supercharged like the 03-04. But every cobra since 96 has had a DOHC 4.6...

CatmanJJ said:
What's the point? Why get a Mach 1 and eventually put a cobra motor in it?

Hey I'm gettin a V6 stang and eventually putting in a GT motor.

Really. I just bought a GT and am putting a V6 into it. Then I am putting in 8.46 gears and hope to top out at about 63 MPH in 5th gear.

GinoGT said:
Why would it rev even lower than a GT?

It's the same engine, just different cranks. The limiter is probably at 6050, same as a GT.

The Mach 1 engine is the Cobra engine. The only differences are the cast crank for the autos and some different cam profiles (truck exhaust cam I believe).

Correct to a point. It is the old Cobra engine, not the one in the supercharged Cobras. Get your facts straight and stop posting false info! And as far as gear ratios go, for all you nimrods out there that where arguing about it, yes automatic trannied GT'S have 3.55 gears in them, not 3.27. It has been like that since 1996.

cronin49 said:
Correct to a point. It is the old Cobra engine, not the one in the supercharged Cobras. Get your facts straight and stop posting false info! And as far as gear ratios go, for all you nimrods out there that where arguing about it, yes automatic trannied GT'S have 3.55 gears in them, not 3.27. It has been like that since 1996.
really?

CManT1914 said:
No, my friend's Mach 1 doesn't redline until 7k, same as the Cobra. It's the same motor as the Cobra, just without the blower.

First of all your friends car does not have an automatic, correct? If so that is why it will go to 7K.

Secondly, it does not have the same engine as the 03 Cobra. It isn't even the same as the '01 engine. Different heads and different cams.