6 cyl 200 to a 302...possible?

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
I have a 66 mustang coupe with a straight 6 cyl 200 engine. If I wanted to put a larger engine in...say a 302...what all would i have to change. The things I have come up with are the suspension, the engine (of course), and transmission. What else would I need to change? I've read some places that it's impossible to switch it out because the 302 is too large, but I've looked under my hood and under the hoods of mustangs with V8s and the space is the same size. The main thing I'm worried about is having to cut out parts under the hood to make room for the engine, but from what I've looked at it doesn't seem that I would have to. I've also read that it would cost a fortune to do. I understand that with the transmission plus the engine getting replaced it will cost a little over 5,000. So exactly how much modifying would I have to do to my car? Would I have to get a stronger rear end or get a new rear axle to withstand the power or what? I have a 5 bolt pattern for the wheels so I'm not worried about that, and I have disk brakes...if that has to do with anything...So is there anyone that knows how many things I would have to replace or add? by the way I'm not planning on racing or anything, I just want a more powerful engine.

• Sponsors (?)

I did this swap back in '75. Best thing to do is get a V8 donor car, because you will need:

Front suspension

Rear suspension

Complete braking system including backing plates and drums except master cylinder

Complete steering linkage including knuckles

Rear axle

Driveshaft

Transmission and bellhousing

Brake lines

Radiator

Fuel lines

Engine frame adapters and mounts

Engine with all accessories

Whew! Sure you want to do it?

Realmongo said:
I did this swap back in '75. Best thing to do is get a V8 donor car, because you will need:

Front suspension

Rear suspension

Complete braking system including backing plates and drums except master cylinder

Complete steering linkage including knuckles

Rear axle

Driveshaft

Transmission and bellhousing

Brake lines

Radiator

Fuel lines

Engine frame adapters and mounts

Engine with all accessories

Whew! Sure you want to do it?

Wow, this is first time i ever seen something like this that i never had to add too

none67 said:
Wow, this is first time i ever seen something like this that i never had to add too

I know...Like I said I did this swap. Of course back then nobody wanted a 64-1/2 through 66. Everyone was going for '69s and '70s because of the readily available 302, 351W and 351C engines. This made nice early 6 cylinder Mustangs sell for about $100 and a nice 289 V8 went for about $200.

Go for it there are lots of guys that have done it on here including me. So you have a good pool of mentors to help you. Some guys say it costs too much but if your careful, you can do it very economically. Just make sure the suspension is up to v-8 standards for safety reasons. Have fun wrenching. Like they said there is no special fabricating involved.

brtnstrns said:
So this is going to take up a lot of money and a lot of time?...and a lot of modifying?

Well if you really want to do the swap, then the smartest thing to do is get yourself a rusted out V8 parts car and transfer all the stuff over from it. This way you will get all the parts at a reasonable price and you will be able to see how everything attaches and you will have all the small stuff you never seem to be able to find or remember.

i have a 67 that had the inline 6 w/ a c-4. pulled both and dropped a 302 w/ an aod from a 85 grand marquis. the onlything we did was get new mm's for the 302, new rear shocks, front coil springs and shocks,and had to make a longer driveshaft,but that was to accomadate the aod. total time: 3 hours to drop the motor in and bang the fiirewall out with a sledgehammer for the aod. took a couple of weeks for the driveshaft because we had never done anything like that before but we eventaully got it right and balanced. also put in 4:11' s but those were free

Like everything, there are 2 ways to go about it, the right way and the quick and easy way. Sure, many have done this over the years, but before diving into what is likely slightly more involved than you have been hoping for and maybe ending up with a half finished project that you have suddenly lost interest in over the years, consdier the following options. 1) If the car is not significantly sentimental in value, consider selling and looking for a decent V8 car to start with, or 2) if there is sincere attachment, maybe I6 performance is right up your ally. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but Falcons have raced hopped up sixes for many years before the mighty 8's came on the scene and an I configuration is far tougher than a V. There are lots of websites out there regarding this trend and a great little article in the December Mustang Monthly as well. Just think about it is all I'm saying and be sure you are feeding the need you have in the best way before starting. Good Luck.

This is extreme, but give it a look: http://home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix/

Do you plan on driving this car? If so, you would probably replace the suspension, brakes, and steering components anyway. Yes, it is time consuming and expensive to build up a car, but if you do it right it will work out about the same as restoring an original V8 that is in poor condition. Heck, the only part that is not available as a replacement item is the V8 spindle.

If your car is in good shape then I would be looking for a rusty V8.