$600 plus for gear install...am I getting screwed?

N/A Cobra

Dec 29, 2003
Indiana
I took my car to a local auto shop earlier this week to have some 4.30s put in my 1996 Cobra. I called them today to see if it was finished and found out that the bill is $612! I was excepting it to be high, but not that high. He also put on some new rear brakes that are included in that, which cost $130, and he did that without asking me first... :nonono: But still, the gear installation cost nearly $500 and that is with me supplying the gears and install kit. He told me that the installation took him 10+ hours and that he had to replace the stock Spline shaft because the old one didn't fit right. I never heard of that before?? But anyway, am I getting screwed or not? I am going to pick the car up tomorrow.

But on the other hand, what can I expect performance wise going from 3.27s to 4.30s? I heard nothing but great things about gears, but will I be amazed? I can't wait to test them out.

Thanks, Jason

• Sponsors (?)

I was quoted $450 for gear install (including the cost of the gears) for my '03 Cobra which is 10X more difficult to install than a solid axle.

IMHO it sounds like you may be getting ripped a little.

3.27's to 4.30's is going to be a massive change. Put is this way, that's nearly a 25% increase in gear ratio. That would be like adding 96 HP to a 400 HP car. It should be a blast!!

That sounds HIGH.. Call a Ford dealer and see what the book time is on installing gears. That is what they should be charging for the gear install, book time, not the actually time it took to do it, unless it is something special which installing gears is not.

Thanks for the help guys. And no I did not change my differential. I do not think the guy that put the gears in does that kind of stuff very often, and may have had some trouble with it, but he said he got them to work fine and there's no gear whine. I don't think there is anything more that I can do about it. I guess I am just going to have to pay for it, but it kinda upsets me.

Yeah, I just got some 4:10's installed and I only paid about $250 before tax, always call about 3 or 4 different places. I always lie and say, "Aw man, the guy down the street told me he'll do it for about $50 cheaper!" Works every time

Yeah, I called various places around town and this was one of the only places that would put them in. I always try to get an estimate, but they would never give me a dollar amount. It's always, "We have to see what it is going to take first" and other bull'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' like that. But I guess there's not much I can do now, but that's the last time I take my car there!!

Well, as long as you got them installed, kick but and take names!!!! jk, yeah, sometimes it's tough to get a good deal, sometimes you just have to pay to get it done. by the way, how are those 4:30's ?

mikey99cobra said:
i paid 350 for a 99 cobra with IRS. i supplied 4.56 gears and they supplied all new bearings and everything. i think you are getting screwed

N/A Cobra: I think you were way overcharged.

mikey99cobra: Were those Ford Racing 4.56's? Did they fit without any issues? I'm lookin at getting 4.56's whenever I can come up with the cash.

I got my car back yesterday and WOW!! After I got to driving my car for awhile I forget how much I paid for the gears because my car is 10x more fun to drive now! It amazed me how much those gears picked my car up! The only bad thing now is that I am going to need new tires soon...maybe DRs? Anyway, I know I got screwed, but the fun factor is almost worth it! I can't wait to go to the track this spring and see what I can run.

N/A Cobra said:
I took my car to a local auto shop earlier this week to have some 4.30s put in my 1996 Cobra. I called them today to see if it was finished and found out that the bill is $612! I was excepting it to be high, but not that high. He also put on some new rear brakes that are included in that, which cost $130, and he did that without asking me first... :nonono: But still, the gear installation cost nearly $500 and that is with me supplying the gears and install kit. He told me that the installation took him 10+ hours and that he had to replace the stock Spline shaft because the old one didn't fit right. I never heard of that before?? But anyway, am I getting screwed or not? I am going to pick the car up tomorrow.

But on the other hand, what can I expect performance wise going from 3.27s to 4.30s? I heard nothing but great things about gears, but will I be amazed? I can't wait to test them out.

Thanks, Jason

I had my 4.10's installed on my 96 cobra for $100 and the guy even paid for the gear oil. Of course that's a pretty sweet deal but I would definelty not pay more than $200

Roush21 said:
I had my 4.10's installed on my 96 cobra for $100 and the guy even paid for the gear oil. Of course that's a pretty sweet deal but I would definelty not pay more than $200

My 2 cents is you definetly got screwed outta some $ BUT you will be truly impressed w/ 4.30s. Like hold the fug on type impressed.