64 1/2 Restoration

SweetCaroline64

Apr 23, 2017
We have a 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible "F" code w/ "U" engine (170ci) just picked up for restoration. I've done the research and less than 20% of the 64 1/2 Ponys had this smaller engine and with only 24% (28k) of these Ponys produced as "08" convertibles, that potentially puts this girl as a 1 of 5,000 made. My question is from a value standpoint: --Should we stick with the 170ci and keep her original to her production or go ahead and give her more HP with a V8 makeover? PROS/CONS??

• Sponsors (?)

Looking at your post, I guessing the "F" is the second character and the "U" is the fifth? If so, the "F" would mean built in Dearborn and the "U" would mean 170 cubic inch 6-cylinder.

Looking to get opinions FOR and AGAINST going back with the rebuilt 170. From all I am reading online most folks switch over to the 289 so if that is the case, is there more value in keeping the car "as is" with the 6 or do I loose value going on up to the V8?

Looking to get opinions FOR and AGAINST going back with the rebuilt 170. From all I am reading online most folks switch over to the 289 so if that is the case, is there more value in keeping the car "as is" with the 6 or do I loose value going on up to the V8?

Attachments

• IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 162
If the goal is to restore, then you have to go with the 170 6-Cylinder. If a mild resto-mod is the plan, you could do it with a 6, but it would appeal to a wider audience with a V8, but keep in mind you will have to upgrade everything to handle the V8's power and weight (front suspension, all the steering linkage past the box, engine, transmission, rear axle, wheels, etc). Are you sure you even still have the original engine? It should be black with an orange-red valve cover and air cleaner. That valve cover is 1966 and newer corporate blue.

The orange-red valve cover 6's I have seen online where in late model 65's where the 200ci 6 replaced the 170ci. I guess it is possible someone could have replaced the original 170ci with one from a 66 Falcon or Mustang. Only proof I have that this is original engine is the VIN is a "U" code and it's a 6 so we are assuming it's the original.

They are pulling the engine this week so I will know soon enough if the numbers match. If they don't, we are going back with a V8. They are suggesting a swap with a '91 5.0 fox body.

I'm a fan of keeping it original especially if the rest of the car is somewhat already like that and in decent shape. They haven't made those 64 1/2 Mustangs for a while now so either way you have a keeper, good for you.

My opinion is.

If all the numbers match, do an original restore. All matching numbers are rare these days, but rare doesn't always mean valuable either. If the number do not match, I'd go full resto-mod!!!