64 Resto

I am doing a restoration on a 64 1/2 I6. The last time the car started was in 2003. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cleared out the fuel lines, changed the starter and the starter solenoid. After I did, it was trying to turn over but it just wasnt catching. It seemed as if there was no spark so I replaced the spark plugs and the ignition cables. Now the engine isnt even starting to turn over. there is just one loud click from the starter solenoid when i turn the key. I checked all the ground cables so i dont think that that is the problem and I tried jumping it off another car but still nothing. someone please give me some ideas because I dont know where to go from here.

• Sponsors (?)

I am doing a restoration on a 64 1/2 I6. The last time the car started was in 2003. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cleared out the fuel lines, changed the starter and the starter solenoid. After I did, it was trying to turn over but it just wasnt catching. It seemed as if there was no spark so I replaced the spark plugs and the ignition cables. Now the engine isnt even starting to turn over. there is just one loud click from the starter solenoid when i turn the key. I checked all the ground cables so i dont think that that is the problem and I tried jumping it off another car but still nothing. someone please give me some ideas because I dont know where to go from here.

Remove the battery cables from the battery. Clean the battery posts and cable terminal ends until they are nice and shiny. Reinstall the cables tightly.

Thanks. I will try this all again but what i don't understand is why it was trying to start and then when i put the new spark plugs and wires in all of a sudden i just get one click. I would think that if it was the gear shifter or the battery that it would sound the same before and after the plug replace

it turns out that the starter i bought was defective and it drags when it is supposed to be spinning. now i either need to go buy a new one or rebuild the original.

Hi,
How recent was it that you bought that starter? How was it determined to be defective? If you bought it it's not going to be an OEM. OEM starters can be rebuilt. If you want to get the car on the road soon, buy an off the shelf stater from one of your local auto parts houses and send the OEM out for a rebuild.

I just bought that starter two weeks ago. the car wouldnt start so i took the starter out and bench tested it. the gear was flying out but it was not spinning. it was an off the shelf starter but i am going to just have the original rebuilt and move from there.

I just bought that starter two weeks ago. the car wouldnt start so i took the starter out and bench tested it. the gear was flying out but it was not spinning. it was an off the shelf starter but i am going to just have the original rebuilt and move from there.

Hi,
Puzzled! Did your vendor not replace it? It should have had a warranty? I've had starters replaced after 4 y-5 years of ownership!...Free, too!