'65 budget brake options

csxfbird

Jun 12, 2004
Hey guys, I have a '65 coupe with the stock manual drums all the way around, and my dad and I were talking about doing something to improve the braking system. I'm really not too familiar with the Mustang's braking system, so my apologies if I have no clue what i'm talking about.

Basically, I was wondering what options I have with regards to the braking system. I have a feeling a disc conversion is out, due to the cost involved. What's involved with a power brake conversion? I'd guess a new master cylinder and a brake booster...but is that compatible with the stock drums and brake lines?

I'd appreciate whatever info you guys can give me, thanks.

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

What I did to my 66 was get a front disc. kit from "Rod and Custom" similar price to the Granada swap, but uses all new parts and your existing V-8 spindles so the Granada steering geometry problems are avoided:

http://parts.homestead.com/132.html

Then I combined it with a power conversion kit from Mustang Steve (www.mustangsteve.com). These two items combined cost less than $500 if you can weld, and you get power front disc. Steve also offers a budget big brake kit, but you need 17 inch wheels and it runs approx. $800 if that's your thing.