65 Mustang 289 w/A/C Converting Stock Radiator to Aluminum

dvelek

Jun 5, 2019
Alvin, Texas
Do you'll have any suggestions on a good Aluminum Radiator for my 65 with A/C? Stock radiator I have is just not able to keep up with the A/C I added on recently. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

rbohm

SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
tucson,az
start by buying the radiator from a reputable source, like NPD for instance. also when buying dont get an aluminum one that mimics the stock design in regards to tube width. the stock tubes are something like 1/2" or so where as a proper aluminum radiator should have tubes that are closer to 1 1/4" thick for better heat dissipation. so that aluminum radiator may still only be two rows thick, but it will have the cooling capacity of a copper/brass radiator that is four rows thick.

be aware of fitment issues though, they should be minor though, mostly trying to fit a fan shroud with the thicker rad, and probably using a shorter fan spacer, again due to the thicker rad, unless of course you are going to use an electric fan.

one more thing, make sure the radiator you buy is for the street and not the track. the reason is the fin count per inch. the higher the better for the street, to a point. you need at least 16 fins per inch for best cooling. more and they tend to block airflow, less and there isnt enough to cooling at low speeds.

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Rogue River, Oregon
I got mine from here http://www.speedcooling.com/radiators/ and couldn't be happier. It fits perfectly, looks nice and I've sat in traffic on a 100° day and it never got past halfway on my stock gauge even with a stock fan and no shroud. The stocker it replaced was up near "H" anytime the temp outside was over 80°. Plus it was only about $200, try it, you won't be sorry.

dvelek

Jun 5, 2019
Alvin, Texas
Afternoon and appreciate the info and sounds good I am ready for this stang to run cool so I can keep it out on the road more in this Houston heat!

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Rogue River, Oregon
Same here. I used to either park my car or only drive it early in the day or late, because I knew if I took out and got stuck in traffic, even for a short time, it would be puking coolant. Not now, cold as ice and since the temps are now reasonable, it starts better when hot.