65 Mustang leaking trans fluid

Bought a project and have my hands full. Just replaced the bottom end on my 302 (69) block w 65 289 heads on it. Rear main seal is new. Started and ran for a few mins w no oil leaks at all...but, trans fluid is dripping at a fast pace from the inspection pan area. One or two drips a second from an area 4" long along the bottom center of the inspection cover. Thin softball sized puddle in 60secs.
Any ideas? I'm hoping torque converter plug is lose but thinking front seal in transmission has been compromised. Thoughts? Suggestions? And how difficult or costly to fix? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_193051397.jpg
    IMG_20190606_193051397.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20190402_171909129.jpg
    IMG_20190402_171909129.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Sponsors (?)

Since you verified that it is indeed ATF then it is most likely the seal at the front of the transmission that seals the torque converter snout to the transmission. Typically one replaces it when the have the motor out as an insurance policy against leaks. The seal is the small shiny area surrounding the input shaft in this photo:

tranny4.jpg

Unfortunately replacement will require dropping the transmission to remove the torque converter in order to get to the seal that is installed on the transmission. The seal is fairly inexpensive and the work is not too difficult as all you need to do is remove the old seal that surrounds the front transmission shaft and reinstall a new one. If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind the labor, its not a big deal. If you are concerned about whether the new seal is installed correctly it it could be done at a shop in just a few minutes if you cart the transmission to them. You should also know how to "key" the torque converter back on the transmission before reinstalling the transmission. Its easy and the tranny shop can show you how to do it.

Last edited:
Since you verified that it is indeed ATF then it is most likely the seal at the front of the transmission that seals the torque converter snout to the transmission. Typically one replaces it when the have the motor out as an insurance policy against leaks. The seal is the small shiny area surrounding the input shaft in this photo:

tranny4.jpg

Unfortunately replacement will require dropping the transmission to remove the torque converter in order to get to the seal that is installed on the transmission. The seal is fairly inexpensive and the work is not too difficult as all you need to do is remove the old seal that surrounds the front transmission shaft and reinstall a new one. If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind the labor, its not a big deal. If you are concerned about whether the new seal is installed correctly it it could be done at a shop in just a few minutes if you cart the transmission to them. You should also know how to "key" the torque converter back on the transmission before reinstalling the transmission. Its easy and the tranny shop can show you how to do it.
Yeah, that was what I was fearing. Have done before on other cars but this is my first Mustang. I wonder if it would be possible in the mustang to disconnect what needs to be disconnected and slide her back enough to make the repair. I think I know the unwanted answer but hoping. I really hope I take the inspection pan off and the drain plug is loose. Lol

I suppose that a converter plug could be loose if it has one, but as far as replacing the seal by moving the tranny backwards it isn't going to be the least bit easy. Remember that the converter has to come down before anything else can be done. The tranny can't go back that far without hitting the upper part of the transmission support. Also I don't know if the seal can be put in correctly with so little working room. I'd say that it would be best to plan on dropping it to the ground from the get-go.

Last edited:
I suppose that a converter plug could be loose if it has one, but as far as replacing the seal by moving the tranny backwards it isn't going to be the least bit easy. Remember that the converter has to come down before anything else can be done. The tranny can't go back that far without hitting the upper part of the transmission support. Also I don't know if the seal can be put in correctly with so little working room. I'd say that it would be best to plan on dropping it to the ground from the get-go.
Yeah, better do it right and not take any short cuts. Argh!