65 Mustang Subframe Connectors

JeffMustang65

Aug 13, 2012
New York
Has anyone installed subframe connectors on a 65 Mustang? I'm wondering if it really makes much of a difference in the way the car drives or handles. I'm also wondering which ones are best.I read the weld on ones are much better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

on my 65 coupe, it was probably one of the better improvements i made to the car. As a bonus, it stopped the cracking at the quarter window problem you have with a quicker than stock car.

I plan on adding them to my 66. But I plan on making my own and welding them in. Haven't heard of this cracking you guys speak of. I'd like to know more about that since I'm also adding in a 5 speed about 100 horses. Are you talking about a cracking sound or an actual crack?

Not a cracking sound (we have enough noises in our old Stangs) An actual crack starts at the body where the rear quarter window meets the body. Usually from increased horsepower and body twist.

here is a not so good pic:

Crack.jpg

Yes, they make a difference. Consider adding front torque boxes (both sides, even if not a 'vert), monte carlo bar and export brace. These cars weren't known for being especially stiff, body-wise, when new. Its now 45+ years later. It goes without saying that any rusty floorpans should be replaced/repaired first. A bigger front bar and the Shelby drop are also a very big plus for handling. I also added Traction Masters bars like the Shelby's had, some go with Cal-Tracs, if they go this route. Roller perches won't 'stiffen' the car but help to make it 'smoother'.

Even wihout additonal HP, I've seen the cracks at the quarter windows. Anything you can do to stop the flex will be something you will feel as it will keep the tires in place.

Hey 331EFiblue66, thanks for the link to the site with diagram to building my own connectors. The cool think about that is I can tweak them to make them fit perfectly to my car. Can you tell me how you had the list of mods to your car come up when you respond? I'm new here and don't see how to do that. Thanks again!

I have TCP sub-frames. They made a big difference stopping body twist. The other big bang for $$ mod is a sheetmetal panel between the trunk and passenger compartment. Basically, you make a pattern, cut it out in sheetmetal and rigidly attach it in place of the original cardboard. Another member here has shown it to be very effective in stopping twist. Search for posts from "mustbereel" and look for the long post on stiffening the chassis of his early models. The thread was started several years ago.

not only stiffens the body ,but helps keep you from getting a gassoline bath incase
of a rear end collision , another good stiffener is weld in the convert inner rockers
and add the under floor braces and the one piece seat box and front torque boxes.
the wind shield posts will crack as well at the top were the lead line is ,i see this on just about all mustangs

Dang! I really don't want those cracks. Got enough cracks in the paint already with real cracks.
I added a monte carlo bar and replaced the busted shocks with high pressure Gas-A-Justs and it no longer understeers around corners. Planning on putting in a quality export brace and the subframe connectors when I do my engine and trans swap.

Putting in the inner rockers like on the convertibles is a pretty big job and I just considered it overkill. I just went with the torque boxes on both sides plus the other mods I mentioned. The rear seat plate is another good idea, though, and would certainly add some more stiffness to the stucture without a lot of work.

You have to have a pattern? I guess I've been doing it wrong all along.
I just laid mine out and cut it. Welded it in too, instead of screws and silicone....
What is involved in preparation for welding it in? My car runs and I assume the tank needs to come out for safety. But since I don't own a welder, I always go to a friend's work place for welding stuff. So I can't be diassembling a car there unless it can go back together quickly.

Putting in the inner rockers like on the convertibles is a pretty big job and I just considered it overkill. I just went with the torque boxes on both sides plus the other mods I mentioned. The rear seat plate is another good idea, though, and would certainly add some more stiffness to the stucture without a lot of work.
the convert rockers should be put in when building the car when its dissisembled
the nice thing about them is leaving out the under boxes and using the rockers ,torque boxes and one piece seat box it is just as strong as the sub frame conecters and nothing hainging down under the car, from the bottom it looks untouched with no speed bump snagers and dragers