65 Mustang Wiring Harness Recommendations

pb26518

Jan 9, 2019
Maryland
Hi all,

I am looking to replace the wiring (bumper to bumper) in my 65 convertible…recently pulled the heater box and figured it was a good time to do so with more room opened up under the dash. I am trying to decide between the American Autowire Kit 510125 https://www.cjponyparts.com/american-autowire-complete-wiring-harness-classic-update-kit-1965-1966/p/WHC6466/ and a combination of 2 OE kits- an under-dash kit and a CJ’s kit that I’m told should cover everything else bumper-to-bumper https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-under-dash-wiring-harness-usa-made-for-warning-lights-and-3-speed-heater-built-after-4-1-1965/p/WUD1B/ and https://www.cjponyparts.com/wiring-kit-with-3-speed-heater-and-gauges-v8-coupe-and-convertible-1965/p/WK65H/ . The AAW kit says it is recommended for MODIFIED vehicles…does anyone know why this is? My vehicle is fairly stock…only additional modifications I could see down the road are 4R70W swap, an electric fan, and maybe an improved stereo/sound system. Does the AAW kit include everything I’d need? Fairly simple to install (not a lot of splicing/crimping, etc.?) I have a 1-wire 100 amp alternator; I’m told the stock harness is intended for 60amp max alternators. Other than that, would the stock OE harness be simpler to install, assuming I swap alternators, and still meet all my needs? Does it include everything; would I have to order some other harnesses separately (convertible top, fuel sending unit, just a few I don’t see listed). It looks like I would be spending around the same amount regardless (Over $700), which is more than I want to spend, but figure its better to do it right the first time…

Thanks,

Pat

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Would like to her recommendations on this too.
I always imagine it comes down to the install more than the kit
but iDK

I would imagine the AAW kit specifies modified vehicles because it’s designed to accommodate modern upgrades such as aftermarket gauge clusters and additional circuits for various accessories. The description essentially says modern gauges are plug and play. Makes sense that that particular harness probably wouldn’t be a good choice if you’re looking to rewire a 100% stock vehicle.

Not a Mustang, but I just installed an AAW Classic Update kit in my 55 Chevy and loved it. The quality was good and it was well thought out by the designers. The hardest part was deciding how to run the wires ( they supply extra wire so you can hide or route custom if you want to on that particular kit. They also sell plug and play factory replacement kits and have some good tech videos.

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the wiring (bumper to bumper) in my 65 convertible…recently pulled the heater box and figured it was a good time to do so with more room opened up under the dash. I am trying to decide between the American Autowire Kit 510125 https://www.cjponyparts.com/american-autowire-complete-wiring-harness-classic-update-kit-1965-1966/p/WHC6466/ and a combination of 2 OE kits- an under-dash kit and a CJ’s kit that I’m told should cover everything else bumper-to-bumper https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-under-dash-wiring-harness-usa-made-for-warning-lights-and-3-speed-heater-built-after-4-1-1965/p/WUD1B/ and https://www.cjponyparts.com/wiring-kit-with-3-speed-heater-and-gauges-v8-coupe-and-convertible-1965/p/WK65H/ . The AAW kit says it is recommended for MODIFIED vehicles…does anyone know why this is? My vehicle is fairly stock…only additional modifications I could see down the road are 4R70W swap, an electric fan, and maybe an improved stereo/sound system. Does the AAW kit include everything I’d need? Fairly simple to install (not a lot of splicing/crimping, etc.?) I have a 1-wire 100 amp alternator; I’m told the stock harness is intended for 60amp max alternators. Other than that, would the stock OE harness be simpler to install, assuming I swap alternators, and still meet all my needs? Does it include everything; would I have to order some other harnesses separately (convertible top, fuel sending unit, just a few I don’t see listed). It looks like I would be spending around the same amount regardless (Over $700), which is more than I want to spend, but figure its better to do it right the first time…

Thanks,

Pat
I used the AAW highway 15 and I'm very happy with the results, I use electric fan, electric fuel pump, Ac/Heat, driving lights, Ect... I have pictures of the install as well. 10 years now and still stable system. 3-15.jpg

I installed the kit you linked to a couple years ago an I am very pleased. The most difficult things were mounting the panel, mounting the turn signal relays, and routing the engine harness around the backside of the gauges and cowl vent. Print out a couple copies of the wiring diagram and one copy of the installation guide. I followed that step-by-step and didn't pop a single fuse. It has flexibility for items like electric fuel pump, stereo amp, electric fan. These are the same style crimp connections used in the weather-pack connectors. The connections are very secure and quickly gave up the notion of the need to solder any of these connections. The crimp tools are a expensive but they work well.

What sold me was the detail of the installation guide. I owe that guy a beer or six.

I did a 67 convertible rewire with AAW kit . It was plug and play even with aftermarket A/C and EFI conversion. The customer also added an aftermarket gauge cluster. No problems it was clearly marked , each wire was labeled.
I like to put a Maxi fuse in my systems . It gives me the protection for a modern high amp alternator and also can pull the fuse as an extra theft protection.
I do not like one wire alternators . It is too easy to wire up a voltage regulator and then it will charge at idle without reving the engine . A lot of cheap aftermarket
one wire alternators need to be at a higher rpm before they start working then you can let them idle.
I ran a 140 amp Lincoln alternator in my small block Windsor powered Morris Minor street rod. Over kill, but it came on the engine when I bought it. Just wired in the regulator. Most people run a one wire alternator b
DSCF0955.JPG
ecause they really don't understand car wiring. Notice the voltage regulator mounted in front of the valve cover on the pass. side.