'66 289 carburetor dilemma

oth

Jul 24, 2004
I've got a 66 289 and am not sure whether the engine is an A code or a C code because the tag is gone and key parts (like the intake manifold) are not original to the car (its part no. is C8AE-9425-B). I want a good stock carburetor for it (it's current 2v one is a mess) and am torn between the ponycarb. autolite 2100 and the autolite 4100. In terms of performance and reliability, is the 4100 worth the added expense of replacing the intake manifold?

• Sponsors (?)

Performance wise the 4100 will beat the 2 bbl every time. As for relaibility, both are the same there, the 4100 is just two 2100's put together. My choice for a good reliable 2 bbl would be a Holley 350 or 500 cfm 2 bbl over the Autolite 2100 any time.

My guess is that you have a C block. There is nothing wrong with that as most early Mustangs had that engine. What is your intention with the car? Do you want a reliable car or a HOTROD? Money is the only difference. I agree with D. Stay 2BBL. I have 312000+ miles on my 65 A block 4 speed and the only real modification I made was to go with Pertronix ignition. I just filled up last week after 283 miles and it took 9.3 gallons. You do the math.

Good luck!

MustangPaul said:
D--He is running two sails, too, and some solar power backup.

I feel good when I can get 18! (Down hill, in neutral, with the wind at my back.)

--Paul :D
Hills? When did they put in hills in Ponchatoula? Y'all got a new garbage dump ski area or somethin? I got 20 mpg out of a 69 E330 van once with a 302 and a Holley 500 2bbl. But that was between Cimarron and Clovis N.M. ( east bound, all down hill :D )

D.Hearne said:
Wait just a minute!!!, You must have one of those elusive secret carbs that made the rumor mill circuit 20 years or more ago. 30.4 MPG ? From a 289? How fast do you drive? 30-40 mph? What's the deal here?
D. 1965 A block- Edel 1405 - T-10 - 3.00 Auburn in the back- 205/70/R14 - plugs at .035- Pertronix ignition - BCTC 7 - single vacuum advance - compression was 125/128 last time I checked. That 140 MPH thing in the middle of my dash I have buried it. DSO San Jose. Isn't that where they got in trouble???
D. It's real. Why ????? My Kitty gets 9 mpg on a good day.

I commute to work each day at 35 miles. Three stop lights and four stop signs. All 55 mph.

I used to get 24 mpg on the highway in my 66 coupe driving very conservatively at 55mph. The mods were a 4 bbl, Try-Ys with full 2" duals, and a good distributor. The car had a C-4 with 3.00 gears out back. I'm not sure about 30mpg with a stock A-code and 4 spd though, it doesn't sound believable to me. Maybe your speedometer is off some, that would be my guess.