Progress Thread 66 Coupe Build

• Sponsors (?)

Got my brake and fuel lines in the mail.
Ordered the Modern driveline clutch master cylinder kit and will start looking at building the slave side of things myself.

I did start tearing the motor down.
5.0 teardown.jpg

5.0 teardown1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Those walls look like they need a hone at the very least....maybe even boring, but you would have to put a telescoping gauge in there and mic it to know for sure, either way the machine shop just became involved....start looking at pistons, if you end up boring you might as well bump the compression a touch...SBF pistons are cheap enough after all

Dropped the block off at the machine shop and they are going to check the clearance and see if I can get away with a hone, if not they will give it a bore.

Last edited:
Block is still at the machine shop so I started working on the brake lines, fuel lines, clutch, and steering rack. Bending lines is very tedious and time consuming, plus making the template takes awhile as well!

stands 1.jpg

Ignore the messy garage, finally got the foxbody out and am going to start cleaning up.
stands 2.jpg

Had to throw a wheel on :)
stands 3.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Just heard back from the machine shop and they said it looks like the block has already been honed out once and it also has a broken tab where it connects to the bellhousing, I dont remember it having a broken tab so I am not sure on that one.

Found a whole explorer or around that price that I might jump on. I already pulled a gt40 upper and lower intake from a JY, but the heads were 40p's and I didnt want to mess with header issues.

Here is the broken tab, doesn't look to terrible.
20200506_140450.jpg

• Sad
They make header specifically for GT40P heads in a classic mustang, but many non-specific headers fit too...either way, def worth the extra power the heads bring to deal with finding headers that work(or even making your own). The block does look repairable for anyone with some experience welding cast iron...chances are that its not even critical anyway...but a better block to start with is certainly a better option.

wasn't the engine stand just bolted to that hole a couple of pics ago?

still sucks, bring on the exploder

Reactions: 1 users
They make header specifically for GT40P heads in a classic mustang, but many non-specific headers fit too...either way, def worth the extra power the heads bring to deal with finding headers that work(or even making your own). The block does look repairable for anyone with some experience welding cast iron...chances are that its not even critical anyway...but a better block to start with is certainly a better option.

I was thinking the same that it was not critical and I probably could get by either getting it welded or drilling it out and using a longer bolt, metal plate, and a nut. The explorer is $500 so I might as well pull the motor and then drop it off at the JY and get $100 back.

wasn't the engine stand just bolted to that hole a couple of pics ago?

still sucks, bring on the exploder

It was but that was on the other side in the pics, unfortunately I didn't document the pictures very well. Could have broke at the machine shop or when we loaded it.