'66 Mustang Rear-end

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
I have the wrong rear-end in my '66 mustang as it is about 2" wider causing my tires to be cut by the quarter panels. It's an 8" rear with 28 spline axles and I have acquired a '66 mustang 8" rear-end housing and I would like to know if I can just transfer the 3rd member over and get '66 mustang 28 spline axles for it? (it's a 3:55 gear traction-lock 3rd member.. I'd like to keep it if I can)

Here's a picture of the axles removed and set next to the '66 rear-end housing. Before pulling them out I figured they would both be the same length and I'm surprised to see one is longer than the other. Almost looks like one is a '66 rear-end axle and the other a '68 or so. Do you think there would be any problems swapping over the 3rd member and getting '66 correct length 28 spline axles?

Attachments

• axles.jpg
    axles.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Sponsors (?)

Look for a set of stock axels from a junk yard if you want to keep the cost down. any 65-66 mustang will work. I have a complete 9" out of a 59 ford 3:55 4 pinion limited slip 28 spline. Drop in swap. The whole thing has been powder coated. Complete with huge 11" drum brake setup. I would sell if interested. PM me if you have any interest