67 console differences ?

Rusty67

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
Seattle area, WA
I've been looking at consoles on ebay because I'd really like to have on in my car. The question I have is what are the differences between the 3 body types for the console. I did a search and noticed that there seem to be different ones depending on if the car had the dash type AC but I thought that only ran through 66 ? If the 67 had that also then that would make 6 different types of console for 1 year ? How well do they interchange and what not ?

• Sponsors (?)

To the best of my knowledge, the 67 & 68 models only had 1 console choice for each year. These 2 years used slightly different consoles, but they are very similar. I have a console in my 68 and have only seen one version. The one variance I have seen has been when there was one of the interior option groups, a different pad was used that had some buttons in it - not sure what these were for off the top of my head. Also, standatd versus automatic used a different pad.

There are 3 versions of the console base in 67 (and more if you add in the similar 68 and 67/68 Cougar ones), the convertible one, the non-AC one and the AC one. The convertible uses a slightly different base than the coupe/fastback as the floorpan is higher in the vert. The vert will work in a coupe/fastback, but the coupe/fastback one needs to be trimmed to work on the vert. The AC version of the coupe has a shorter back (under the dash, makes space for the AC/heater box), but will work with the non-AC cars. It's really hard to notice the extra length. The 68 base will work with the 67, although you will probably have to use the 68 padded inserts as the 67s have a different trim plate.

For the console trim, you also have differences between the deluxe interior and the AT/MT shift plate. There also is a plate on either side of the roll-top that may have holes for the rare seatbelt and other warning lights option. The deluxe interior was also slightly different than the standard interior as far as shift handle and maybe the aluminum plate on top of the console, too.

The base is the key, though as all other parts are being reproduced. There are a few other differences between consoles in 67, but these are the main ones, IIRC.
Daniel

This is really spooky. I just posted almost this exact same question on another board. (thanks for the details) I guess Rusty67 and I have been bidding/watching the same auctions.:D

Wondering if ALL the 67/68 Mustang/Cougar console bases are the same mold and have the same part number and:
A)The ones that have pads are the same as the non padded just with extra screw holes.
B)The Convertible version is just trimmed at the factory.
C)The AC version is just trimmed off at the console glove box?

Anyone have master parts list showing the different bases?
On a 67 without air what do the floor heater vents look like? pictures?

I thought I had this all figured out but not sure now. I thought that all 67's console cars, with AC were "trimmed" at the glove box to allow the floor heater to work but I see 2 convertibles on ebay (180077217771 and 170073619391) have the extended console and have AC :bang:

I saw that DUVAGA has a coupe with AC/console- Is your console trimmed at the floor vent?

Anyone else have this combonation to help with the mystery?

I knew about the different plastic bases on the verts but I did not know they were shorter for A/C. All three 67s I've had that had floor consoles had A/C and deluxe interiors so I never noticed. You mean the part of the plastic up near the firewall is different?

For the upper consoles...fastbacks were a couple of inches longer than coupes, verts of course had none.

I see consoles on ebay that are shortened compared to others. Shorter as in the part under the dash. I have ASSuMEd that the difference was due to AC/non AC instead of consoles that have been damaged over time and chopped to not look so crappy. Example of a shorter console (120076961196) as compared to a full/long version(150081038690). I have a coupe that I THINK originally had a console. It has a butchered console shifter, the console mount holes in the floor have "threads" as though screws were in there at sometime. I believe that the floor vent for a console/non console mustang is different but I have yet to see any others to compare. I have purchased a shorted base off ebay and it butts right up to the floor vent and I dont see how the floor vent could put out heat if it were the longer version....unless there is a different floor vent from what I have.. So do you still have any of those verts to compare the links above to?

Thanks,
Marty

I have had two 68's with consoles, one with and one without A/C. Both Consoles were exactly the same, and as far as I know were factory original. They were also both the "long" style. The difference on the A/C car was the deflectors on the bottom of the heater box at the floor, it has a much wider cardboard type deflector that directs air to the outside corners of the console.

I don't want to come off as some sort of console expert, but if you mean "under the dash" as in an under-dash A/C system (like 65-66 had) then those were strictly customer or dealer installed. All factory A/C cars had it IN-dash, and the floor-heater vents are not very much different than the non A/C cars. The biggest difference that is visible is the evaporator box behind (and below) the glove compartment, which necessitated a different blower design, the latter being almost invisible on a console car (unless your head is in the footwell).

Interesting discussion here fellas!

To clarify, this discussion is about 67/68 mustangs with factory A/C and factory floor console.
With the factory AC the blower is down under the dash as oppose to w/out AC where the blower is actually in the engine compartment. The floor heater vent attaches directly to the blower and when a console is installed the backof the glove box buts right up against the floor vent. my floor vent is just like this vent on ebay (140015078160), which says its NOT for a console car.

Does anyone have a floor vent they can describe or better yet provide a picture of for an AC/console car?

So from the current replies it sounds like all of the shortened consoles are indeed hack jobs over the years and my previous assumution that they were chopped off at the factory is wrong. I still also assume that the factory trimmed the sides of a coupe/fastback console for the convertible...Can anyone provide a partnumber on a console from a vert? 67 coupe is C7ZB 65045B54-xx (where as xx are letters that indicate the color)EW=green, AW=black

Thanks for all the replies....even though it shows that I may have been wron......g:eek: :eek: :jaw:

Okay, to further clarify...the "glove box" is the standard compartment on all 67/68s that is on the passenger side. I don't know the "correct" term of the storage compartment under the radio INSIDE the console. It is that second compartment that butts up against the floor heater's registers, which are directly below the blower motor which is just to the driver's side of the A/C box. The actual A/C box is behind and somewhat below the "glove box" on the passenger side, it contains the evaporator. I have two of them on the floor in my garage. I also have the floor vent for the heater "somewhere", it is not installed at this time so I cannot get a picture for you.

Do you have a picture of the flor vent you have in mind?

You are right about my incorrect labeling of the "/glovebox/storage box".
The ebay auction listed above has a picture of the floor vent that I have(non AC?).
I have never seen a picture of what the AC/console version would look like. If that is the one you have, pictures of it uninstalled would be fantastic if you can dig it up without too much trouble. Mine is made of thin ABS. If I can get a few dimensions and pictures of the correct version then I can fabricate one out of ABS sheet.

Thanks

I just looked at the two auctions in post #11 of this thread...
The first one is a hacked up 1968 version...I would not trust anything in those pictures to be original.

The second one looks very nice and is exactly what my current one looks like (67 vert with A/C).

In the two auctions mentioned in post #9 here...
Again the first one is not original...it is hard to tell if the center section was removed and the padding from a 68 with the woodgrain or not...I'd say it was applied by a PO to cover a marred aluminum area since the seatbelt pockets are at the outside edges.

The second one looks fine but there's no clear picture of what you are asking about in it...this picture comes close though
View attachment 408213
That gap along the bottom edge of the storage compartment is NOT where the heater discharge ducts are...is that what you were asking?

This picture is where I have loosely stuck a chopped 67 console in place. Notice the console butts up to the floor vent and the opening of the vent protrudes beyond the sides of the console. If this were an unhacked console the vent would prevent the console from sliding in place under the dash. So the picture/details that I am looking for now is what does the floor vent look like for an AC/console car? are the vents facing the firewall? or is it a very short piece that would go over the top of the console sides?

Attachments

• console2.jpg
    console2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 738
That looks right to me. The floor discharges of the heater do protrude slightly and point about 30 degrees down and 45 degrees towards the passengers, just like in your photo. I'm a bit confused though about why a "chopped" console would be so close to the discharge. Are you 100% sure your blower housing is from a 67/68 Mustang cougar and not perhaps a 69/70? That fitting with the discharges connects directly below the blower motor right?

I haven't owned a 67 without factory A/C since 1982, I cannot really remember what they looked like in this level of detail.

The blower housing/motor are definately 67/68. The motor is original and has a C6 or C7 part number so I am quite certain they are original to the car as there is a fender VIN/accessory tag showing it originally with AC and vinyl top.
From this exercise i see how consoles could have been chopped over the years....all because of the floor vent...that I still dont know what is suppose to look like.
As additional info, classicair is the one that has the non console floor vent listed on ebay(referenced earlier) so I emailed them to see if they had the console version. They just replied that they did not but stated that it looks mostly the same but about 3" shorter....That would mean that the console version's air flow would come out above the top of the console sides but still would like to see a picture as the passenger side of the console is afully close to the AC evaporator box..
Any one out there with a dissassembled AC box that has console? sure would like a picture/dimensions..