67 Super Snake Project

Bell Housing

The bell housing is a big problem. The dowel pins in the block are very tight. I called Keith Craft and he told me that he had a kit and I did not need to remove those dowels. Got the kit, it includes longer dowel pins and a larger washer that welds to the outside of the bell housing. Just drill out the original holes to a larger size, move the bell housing in to place, and weld on the washers. Will call Keith again tomorrow and verify that I DO need to pull those pins.

LakewoodBellhousingRelocatingKit.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I was stewing about how I was going to get those dowel pins out without hurting that aluminum block. So I designed a dowel pin puller out of a piece of pipe, a grade 8 bolt, nut and two washers. With a little welding it worked great. Anybody that has a Shelby/Aluminum block take note. They were in there tight.

DowelPinPuller.jpg

Centered the bell housing and welded the washers in place. Looks factory after I painted them, huh.

LakewoodLocatingKitInstalled.jpg

Ready to go. No. Wait. My pressure plate is a diaphragm, and the flywheel is designed to the long finger (or Ram) pressure plate. Well, after a long discussion with Keith Craft and Rob in Plano, we are making a change. Dual disc clutch setup. Clutch, pressure plate and flywheel all with be changed. So I just assembled what I could.

DiahpramPressurePlate.jpg

LongFingerPressurePlateFlywheel.jpg

just did a Weight to HP calculation:

The Corvette Z06 weighs in at 3132 lbs and has 500 HP, giving it a Weight to HP conversion of 6.27 lb/hp.

The Ferrari Enzo weighs in at 3009 lbs and 660 HP, giving it a weight to HP conversion of 4.56 lb/hp

If my car weighs 3500 lbs. and 815 HP, my Weight to HP conversion is 4.30 lb/hp.

woo hoo
aetsch.gif
assimilation.gif

Move over Ferrari

Why do you think it will weigh in at 3500? I am not sure if this specs are right but.. i just figures it would be around the same as stock what ever the weight is due to the motor not being iron and such...

The 1967 Shelby GT 500
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.0
Weight, lbs: 3,000
Number built: 2,050
Base price: $4,195

I just noticed your going with FAST XFI good choice

Total Weight

I was hoping it would be around 3200. The Aluminum engine should drop the weight a little (estimate ~200lbs), but I have added about 75 lbs of sound deadening/insulation (Lizard Skin Ceramic & Sound + Dynamat & Quality Heat Shield), 22 gal stainless fuel cell, coilover rear system, roll bar and subframe braces.

I know all those little things can add up quickly. But 3200 lbs/815hp=3.93 weight to hp ratio.

What kind of quarter times should I run with 315 street radials and a 3.25:1 axle ratio?

Things do add up quick, I am hoping mine will come in at about 3300 lbs. Though i should have about the same hp to weight ratio. Though I have noticed 315 35 17 options seem to be a little on the slime side with DR, at least when I was pricing them out. You could prob feather it so to speak initailly and the get into it. Your car will still look awsome going down the track. Beside you can always blame a poor time on serious amounts of HP, and traction issues...

Good luck even hooking up with 315/35/17...they will be useless under boost in the first three gears on the street. You will definately need slicks at the track.

If you do go to the track, post when so I can make the trip!

John

Engine Installed

Engine has been set in the engine bay. Headers have not been installed yet. I just wanted to see the fit. You can see by some of the red circles in the photos that I have some clearance issues. Anybody installing the shock tower bracing and a FE engine will have to do what I am going to do. I need to grind down the upper areas to clear the header bolts. VERY TIGHT!

EngineInstall.jpg

Pasenger side rear:

EngineInstall71.jpg

Passenger side front:

EngineInstall51.jpg

Driver side front:

EngineInstall21.jpg

Good clearance here:

EngineInstall41.jpg

And I was wondering if where I have cut through the firewall was going to work. It will work just fine:

EngineInstall31.jpg

I mounted the fuel pressure regulator first:

EngineInstall8.jpg

Good thing I have a high hood:

EngineInstall11.jpg

But the engine weight only lowered the car a little bit and didn't change thew stance very much:

EngineInstall9.jpg

EngineInstall10.jpg

I had an opportunity back in 1986 to rebuild a 1976 Porsche 911 Targa. One of the thing that struck me the most was the curves of the car. Like a beautiful woman, the lines were sleek and voluptuous. That is what I think is the best feature of the 1967 Mustang.

ExteriorCurves1.jpg

ExteriorCurves3.jpg

I installed the headers. A shoe horn and a little grease was needed.

HeadersInstalled.jpg

They are touching the shock towers. I may need to loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine.

HeaderInstalledtouchingtheshocktowe.jpg

I started hooking up the oil and PS lines.

OneOillineandPSlinesconnected.jpg

I hooked up all the EFI wiring, some water hoses, vacuum/boost lines and other little things.

FuelPressureRegulatorvacuumlineWate.jpg