Progress Thread 67coupe’s 89 LX - Dyno Vid

Yeah I was thinking that when you posted the pic of those things....A straight through muffler is just that...straight through. Its a kinda right of passage though..The day you decided that "it's too freakin loud" is the day you can take comfort in the knowledge that you have grown wiser with age,....not deaf.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I’ll admit, I was looking for a little more aggressive sound and maybe a little more power. The mufflers that we’re on it are old flowmaster three chamber delta flows. They produced a sound that was a little flat and boring. I just grew tired of that sound.

All the youtube vids of cobras with borla stingers sounded awesome. I knew they’d be louder. But these are just offensive. Have a real blatty sound under part throttle. At full throttle, I can’t hear myself think.

Yeah, this was definitely a swing and a miss. Waaaaaayyy over the line for a street car. I don’t want to be that guy in my neighborhood.

I’ll admit, I was looking for a little more aggressive sound and maybe a little more power. The mufflers that we’re on it are old flowmaster three chamber delta flows. They produced a sound that was a little flat and boring. I just grew tired of that sound.

All the youtube vids of cobras with borla stingers sounded awesome. I knew they’d be louder. But these are just offensive. Have a real blatty sound under part throttle. At full throttle, I can’t hear myself think.

Yeah, this was definitely a swing and a miss. Waaaaaayyy over the line for a street car. I don’t want to be that guy in my neighborhood.

Do you have catalytic converters? That is the key. I put Magnaflow Magnapacks on my old ‘95 and it was insane loud. Added a catted H pipe and it was perfect. I got many compliments on the sound since it was much cleaner than the usual flowmaster sound.

It’s been a long time since I’ve updated this thread. I’m just ready to be finished with this room work. So here’s some room progress, then an exhaust update.

Since I removed the wood paneling in the bathroom, I decided to make a few plumbing changes while the wall was open.

This wall backs up to the garage right next to the washer and dryer. There was never a washer box installed, just a hole in the wall with the hot and cold water valves, which has always bothered me. That was one of the first things I wanted to fix.

351D5BCD-C286-4E29-9C64-D87C7CA9CD8F.jpeg

Next on the list was adding a utility sink in the garage. Lots of soldering for this one.

7E45D22F-5B7B-4700-A300-00F6EBCCA4CE.jpeg

6768654A-F452-45FF-B877-09529D27A799.jpeg

After a sheet of drywall.

6B106422-04FE-4F04-954F-90B8F0579116.jpeg

Also plumbed the condensate line to the new sink drain. I’ve had issues with the ridiculously long run. This should solve all of that.

5FDF00A5-0FC2-4185-B1F6-29E6C4855B11.jpeg

Ignore the pipe resting on top of the water supply lines. That was where the old line ran outside. It’ll be repurposed for the water heater pressure relief valve.

• Hell Yeah!
Decided to hire out drywall. I know if I installed it, it would require way too much sanding.

7C447388-C0ED-40CA-9670-57BFDF327538.jpeg

F2A42EFD-FBA8-42A9-80C6-FF0F79004770.jpeg

This is an older pic. They’re actually coming today and should be finished.

After that, new sills and casings for the windows. Then paint, flooring, trim and I’m done! Then I can finally paint the 89!

Speaking of, decided to tackle the exhaust last weekend. Went with magnaflow full case mufflers. Had it all mocked up and tacked in place. Went to finished weld, got about 5 minutes into it and my Millermatic 140 started acting up. Had no power, no heat penetration. Just piled up wire.

After playing with the settings, letting it cool off, no change. Did the same thing even with the power turned all the way up. Did some research, even slept on it. Sounds like a transformer issue or a rectifier issue. Essentially, it’s done. I’m not paying a shop to fix an entry level 120V welder.

Decided to roll the dice with this harbor freight special.

7112CEF8-86CF-4332-A071-6A1425E9BE8A.jpeg

170 amp, 120 or 240V, digital inverter. Boy was I impressed! The Miller gave me issues with thinner materials. Couldn’t lay a smooth bead. It would pile up or blow through. Had to do a series of hot spot welds.

This thing makes welding exhaust pipe easy! Really happy with it.

FE913102-D137-4DDC-A262-BD0A364683AD.jpeg

716B58C5-99F9-4F76-89D3-87B2D1D412C1.jpeg

The Magnaflows sound perfect. A little subdued at part throttle and cruise. Nice and aggressive when you hit the loud pedal.

Reactions: 4 users
Quick room update, then the fun and possibly stupid news.

Drywall is finished and painted. Window sills and trim finished too.

9A42EA96-24D5-4E92-8C88-5FE5A4FB2943.jpeg

451502C4-9903-48F3-8576-30C256614F81.jpeg

Next up is crown molding, then flooring. After that baseboard and door trim and I’m done!

Now for my latest last minute irrational decision.

If you’ve followed the thread, you’ll remember that the 89 got into a little parking lot accident at Cruisin the Coast last year. Was still planning on going this year. I just wouldnt have a car since I wasn’t able to repair and paint it in time.

Well, the crew I’m going with potentially has an open spot on a trailer. I immediately thought, I want to take the 67. Then I realized that even though it was being trailered down, it’d still have to survive the 400 miles it’ll see during the week.

Here’s the plan. Take the 67...

4F759026-038F-4E1D-BA1A-55DDD9196F56.jpeg

And install the old 5.0!

B5D6CF87-47A5-47E0-A3D2-07B16F2A60E0.jpeg

It’s got around 200,000 miles. Burns a little oil but no noises. Ran fine when I pulled it.

Has AFR 165’s and stock cam. Going to install a small cam, swap over the front sump oil pan and pickup. Then swap over the timing cover and accessories from the 67. It’ll be carbureted with a mechanical fuel pump.

Couple quick question?

Will the 67 timing cover fit the double roller timing chain with fuel pump eccentric?

Will the distributor out of the 67 (MSD unit) work on the roller cam? I know to swap out gears. Main question is the two distributors have different shaft diameters. With this cause any issues?

Got a lot of work to do in less than two weeks. Sounds kinda like my own Roadkill experience!

Got off to a good start yesterday.

Discovered the source of the sloppy steering. The power steering control valve was loose where it bolted to the frame! The nut had backed off quite a bit. That could have been disastrous!

Then installed a new fuel pump, rebuilt the carb and took it for a spin. Drove great! Steering is tighter. Probably as good as it can be. The C4 shifts crisp and the brakes feel excellent. Just like I remembered it.

Then I decided to try to brighten up the paint. It was painted in 1980 with Emron. I know that was excellent paint back then. However the years have taken their toll. It’s starting to crack in places, it’s stained and has some really small bumps in places. I know its well beyond saving. I was just hoping to improve it.

Out came the clay bar, compound and polish. Although there are plenty of defects up close, this will definitely get me by until I fully restore and paint the car.

Before.

9C896D7A-F3BB-4580-878B-2B3558C19F45.jpeg

5BB9CC78-FA76-49A6-9E78-598322D69A31.jpeg

After!

9F4B5F3E-DB72-47FB-83E2-A847F30A998B.jpeg

5B641E60-BD28-43A7-A7F4-2DF1FB9FD97A.jpeg

Today I’ll teardown the 5.0 and hopefully start on removal of the boat anchor 302. Parts show up tomorrow!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
What fun this has been. Parts from these two engine are not as interchangable as I read online. Issues with fuel pump eccentrics, timing covers, and dipsticks has had me pulling my hair out.

At any rate, time for the updates.

This was Sunday’s progress:

Tore the 5.0 down and pulled the stock cam.

0C851A5C-C7F7-4CB1-8D30-6968BAC900EF.jpeg

837BF937-A8AD-4A49-ADD9-EFB029E25EBC.jpeg

Pulled the anemic 302 from the 67.

4E00A9C8-937A-4339-9D9B-31208B49AA0B.jpeg

391C5F6D-61FA-405C-B102-6329DE3301AF.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Got the cam installed and set the valves.

2BD36B9E-DDAA-477E-8E5E-02B8D9DD7D19.jpeg

That’s when I ran into the eccentric and timing cover issues. The long dowel pin that came with trick flow cam was not long enough to engage the eccentric. Then the 67 timing cover didn’t have bosses for the locating dowels.

Long story short, I won’t be using a mech fuel pump and will have to add an electric. Had to drill out two bolt holes in the 67 timing cover to accept the dowels from the 5.0 block.

56C69B27-EF2D-4E6F-82FB-3EA3206D765C.jpeg

Should be able to finish the rest of the motor tomorrow and install it Friday. Hopefully, it be ready to crank by Saturday. I am feeling the crunch. We’re leaving for Gulfport on Wed!

Thanks 95!

Finished assemblying the engine yesterday. Also primed it since it hasn’t run in about 7 years. Got pressure right away and oil to the rockets after a few seconds.

56D7224D-5110-420E-BA63-4609D5139650.jpeg

05C81778-DF9E-4C51-8C1F-B056613D584F.jpeg

Then dropped the engine back in. Really had to work to line up the converter studs. Slipped right together after that.

7A53F702-4161-48CC-8127-2632205E740F.jpeg

Hoping to turn the key today. Items left:

Install distributor and wires.
Need to mount, plumb and wire the fuel pump.
Finish up the exhaust.
Clean up some old terribly done underhood wiring.
Then finally change electric fans (one of my flexilite duals is dead).

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
It’s all together but somethings not right. Very hard to start and when it does it idles really low and dies with any throttle.

I checked compression to make sure no valves are hanging open. Got two cylinders that are a little low (110 and 120) but that shouldnt cause it to not run. I’ve also verified timing. 10 BTDC on compression stroke.

I really suspect the carburetor. The entire underside was dripping gas when I pulled it off last night and the bottom of the intake had puddles of gas. Going to try a known good one today.

She’s running!

Long story short, the ignition timing was off. Apparently, ford had different placement for the timing marks on the balancer over the years. This Summit balancer had three sets of marks. It was about 40 degrees retarded. Engine runs and sounds good!

Also had to fix an issue with the instrument lighting. I’m pretty sure the dimmer on the headlight switch is bad. I don’t have time to order one. So I wired the lighting circuit to key on and pulled the fuse to prevent anyback feeding. I’ll order a switch and fix it right after the trip.

Going to give the car a good cleaning tonight and it’ll go on the trailer Tuesday night.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Sweet, there you go. However, I thought you said this was roadkill. Don’t you have to drive the car down for that???

For the full roadkill experience, yes.

Main reason for using that title was the piecing together of a used engine under a very ambitious timeline. Even though its being trailer-ed down, it'll be driven over 400 miles during the week.