69 Mustang Shock Tower Parts Source?

Discussion in '1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-' started by JeremiahJohnson, Apr 12, 2014.

  1. Hey Guys,

    I am having a hard time finding a specific part I need. I am looking for just the motor mount support brace that welds to the shock tower and frame rail. It bolts to the engine mounts and houses the lower control arm. I can find new shock towers that come with these pieces but I was wondering: Does anyone know a source where I could get a pair of these braces without the shock towers?

  2. you can buy the towers unwelded but i don't think you can buy this piece by it self.
  3. Darn. Lesson learned.

    When I welded a pair onto my new shock towers, I didn't have an export brace or monte carlo bar bolted up and now I am finding that the tops of the shock towers are about an inch to an inch and a half too far apart. I tried just pulling them together but they are pretty stiff.
  4. Can you cut the welds loose?
  5. I use a 1/2 inch rod threaded at both ends to tie the towers together when replacing.Run the rod through the A arm bolt holes on both towers ,nuts on the front side and back side of the towers and they will stay put .Of course the motor has to be out. An export brace and a Monty Carlo also and it is very solid while you weld .
    RacerJames and JeremiahJohnson like this.
  6. I think I can get the welds loose without totaling the bracket. The threaded rod is a great idea, I will definitely try that. Thanks