7.3 already...

hqdefault-2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Chevy and Ford have both made 400+ ci engines they didn't consider "big block".

Exactly my point. There isn't just one factor that determines if the engine is a big block, but a combination. They also made big blocks that were less then 400 cubic inches. I'm talking about the combination of factors that are generally accepted in the automotive world (mainly classic cars) that defines the difference between a small block and a big block. Look it up if you have the time someday, it's kind of interesting and goes through some automotive history as to why each engine was labeled as such.

Last edited:
Exactly my point. There isn't just one factor that determines if the engine is a big block, but a combination. They also made big blocks that were less then 400 cubic inches. I'm talking about the combination of factors that are generally accepted in the automotive world (mainly classic cars) that defines the difference between a small block and a big block. Look it up if you have the time someday, it's kind of interesting and goes through some automotive history as to why each engine was labeled as such.

The whole BB vs MB vs SB thing, essentially describes the bolt pattern on the block itself. The displacement really had little to do with it other than the intent of application.

I think this is why you're getting at.

Yes, that would be one of the factors as well as the list of factors I listed originally. Honestly, just about every serious classic car guy I've ever talked to over the years about this has a difference of opinion when it comes to classification but there does seem to be some industry norms between them all.

In short, Ford is correct in calling this engine a big block IMO. Here are some links to some articles/discussions on this topic that appeared in a quick search I just did. I have some books that go over this but they're copyrighted.

Or maybe I'm just being an idiot and not understanding the discussion. It seemed there was some question whether this was a true big block......

Dammit. I need more money, time and maybe a cooler job working with those guys...

If you told me 10-15 years ago that the Mustang would go electric one day (the real one, not the Mach-E) I would have yawned and thought it was a nail in the coffin.

Now...i'm excited to see what a true all-electric Mustang coupe would be like.

Unfortunately it means modifying them will mean having a degree in electrical engineering and a computer background unfortunately...

• PlusOne
I want one for the 'dump truck', the 7.3 turbo diesel has 600k on it now and I won't even have to change the badges!!!!
That ol' International Harvester V8 diesel will outlast the rest of the truck, gets twice the fuel economy of Godzilla, and has the best sound of any diesel not made by Cummins. Don't touch it.

That ol' International Harvester V8 diesel will outlast the rest of the truck, gets twice the fuel economy of Godzilla, and has the best sound of any diesel not made by Cummins. Don't touch it.
It has not been touched, never been chipped, complete exhaust still in place, gets 12 mpg and will still pull a house down the road, just not very fast, starting to develop blow by out the dipstick tube.
For 10k budget a Godzilla can be a consideration.

It has not been touched, never been chipped, complete exhaust still in place, gets 12 mpg and will still pull a house down the road, just not very fast, starting to develop blow by out the dipstick tube.
In that case, Godzilla will get about the same gas mileage... but still, that ol' IH 7.3 can be rebuilt for less, and with a fresh build you can turn up the boost and replace the injector pump with something a little more stout and be making a lot more power, and get another 600k out of it.

You wouldn't be getting this advice from me if you had the old 6.9 IH diesel, any of the Navistar garbage, or the new 6.7 Powerjoke. The 7.3 IH diesel is the 2nd-best diesel made for light duty pickups EVER behind only the Cummins B-series (3.9/5.9/6.7), and it's a close 2nd at that. It's so simple to work on that a caveman can do it, it's so reliable he won't really have to, and it's more than adequate to any task the chassis it's bolted to can handle.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Crate Godzilla 7.3: ~$7500
ECU: ~$1500? (Just a guess since I don't think anyone is producing one for swaps yet)
Accessories: $???
Changing fuel lines, etc....: $???
Anything else that comes up that I'm not thinking of right now (because something WILL come up that will cost - always happens!): $???

I don't think you could swap it with a $10k budget, but I'm sure you could have that IH engine rebuilt for that. Just saying.... :shrug:

• Agree