Progress Thread 7 Year Build Back In Progress!

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
500 RWHP... What's the best setup without the need to shim too much or shave anything down. I also have the Wilwood big brake kit that needs to fit... I'm going up to 31 spline as the stock rear bearings are SHOT and I figure replace it all while it's apart. Any ideas on what fits the best? The shop recommended the 35 spine Strange axle C clip eliminator with a $1,200 diff... I think that's overkill... Is there anyone out there that has installed a 31 spline kit with minimal issues and great results?

• Sponsors (?)

31 is more than enough to support 500 hp. Worst case go to 33 if you must but it's overkill. Stud the rear main caps, put a nice girdle type cover on it and let it eat (after replacing bearings etc). If you're leaving on a trans brake or high rpm clutch dump you may look at anti roll bars etc for the rear and maybe having the axle tubes welded fully.

31 spline axles, good racing carrier of you choice and a good diff cover that has bearing cap support. That's all you need to make the rear live with that power. Welded tubes would be nice but as long as you aren't doing 5k rpm clutch dumps on full slicks welded tubes probably aren't needed. C-clip eliminators will depend on the times you will be running and your tracks safety requirements. If you will be running times that require them then do them while it's all apart. It's no fun doing all that work and then getting kicked off the track your first night there.

Also don't neglect your torque boxes. Once the rear is built to take the abuse and you start abusing they will start getting pulled apart with hard slick launches.

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, but I dropped another ton of cash into the car and wanted to give updates. This includes the following:

14" Front 6 piston Wilwood Brakes
12" Rear 4 Piston Wilwood Brakes
Detroit Tru-Track 31 Spline Rear
31 Spline Strange Axles with C-Clip Eliminators
Rovos Pretoira Staggered Matte Black 18" Wheels
Nitto 305 Rear and 265 Front Tires
Window Tint all around
Rear extreme duty non-adjustable Max. Motorsports lower control arms
FRPP upper rear control arms
Replaced my original front control arms with new of the same type, along with tie rods.

Now, I need a GOOD quality set of headlights. I'm on my 3rd set and none of what I've bought has lasted through a summer. Does anyone know of a "good as stock" set of either black headlight / corner light combo? Preferably glass? I'm trying to keep the car completely black with red accents.

This spring, I'll be having the car custom painted, some body-work to straighten the lines. Then it should be damn close to being ready for show.

Reactions: 1 user