'70 disks on a '65

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
Who has this combo, and how is it? Does in change the track width any over the kits? Found a slightly used setup I'm thinking about getting, but I don't know much about it. Any insight would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The main issue with the 68-73 Mustang Disc brakes (68-73 are essentials all the same), being installed on the 65 66 is the steering arm length/Geometry.

As is the Granada brakes, the Bump Steer issue will be present. All the Ball joints mate up, bolt on and function perfect. This pertains to ALL 65 66, V8- 6 cylinders, etc. Bolt on any of these 68-73 Spindles.

The Geometry problems (As with the Granada Brakes) can very simply be overcome by a DAM OLD Alignment Guy, that knows how to Hot Rod a car----No Kids allowed.

The tie Rods on all manual steering cars will be the 70 Versions 387's, (on the 68 69 the 360's)).

(If installing Power Steering, Passengers side will work fime, on the Drivers side, you will need that Dasn Granada Special made outer. Yes you need to "RIG it up" to fit---As in the Granada brakes, but it will work.

So, yes these work fine, just needs a bit of old Hot Rodding techniques, a Meeting with BUD, and enjoy.

Dan

chockostangclassicmustang.com

Say I found a set of '70 spindles with rotors/calipers complete, tie rods, bump steer corrector, center link, steering box, etc., all taken off a '66 that was going to a full Griggs setup. I'm guessing all those issues would be worked out. I guess my biggest concern was when I looked at them, there was a steel plate on the outside of the rotor hub, I hadn't seen one like that and it just didn't look right. I was hoping to find some pictures for verification, but so far no luck.

I found some pictures of the '68-'70 disk brakes showing the hub on the wheel side of the rotor, so that's verified. Still don't know what difference there is in the track width for these spindles/disks compared to the '65 items. Anyone?

Randy, Interesting you have noticed the K/H Hub on ALL 65-73 Mustangs with the Rotor that will accept/Change to a new rotor keeping the hub, changing the rotor.

All, every rotor on the 65-73 Mustang, 65/66- 71 Fairlane used the same 2 piece design, yes you can see the seperation. All new rotors are one piece, can not seperate.

The Hub, as you are referencing to, is the SAME Piece in height, width, etc, from 65-73 on the Mustang, and 65/66-71 on the fairlane -- Remember hub is same. RACES ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!

The Rotors that pressed on these were thinner on the 65 66 comparted to the 68-73 rotor that was
.950 new.

So, the track width (Wheel butting to HUB, Not rotor) will be same.

Dan @ Chockostang

chockostangclassicmustang