'70 Fuel tank in my '66

golf4283

May 30, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
Ok I know there have been other threads on this subject but I'm wondering if anyone knows how high a 1970 fuel tank rises above the mounting point?

I ask because I want to drop one in my '66 and want to make sure it either sits flush or below the rest of the trunk area because I plan to make a "floor" with some plywood and a bit of carpet attached to it. I want to do this to give the trunk a bit more of a finished look.

So if anyone has a measurement or can tell me from experience that would be great. either that or the 69 tank I believe is 20 gallons so it's most likely shorter and will fit.

Thanks
-Dan

• Sponsors (?)

that's not the problem. I'm more so just curious as to which one mounts flush with the rest of the trunk for the purposes of building a flat trunk floor with no dip at the gas tank.

That depends on what your definition of 'flat' is. The trunk floor is tapered from the rear end (where the floor is higher than the tank) to the taillight panel (where the tank is higher than the floor.

Here are pictures of my '70 tank in my '65:

70Mustangfueltankina65002.jpg

That #1 phillips screwdriver will almost slide under the straight edge.

70Mustangfueltankina65001.jpg

It's almost flat here, but I wouldn't call it flat.

When I had an IASCA competition stereo system in the late 1980's, I had installed a flat floor. The tank wouldn't of interefered with me doing it again, but that's a long way off right now.

I cut it down the stock neck the exact amount the tank was higher. It doesnt line up perfect, but it's close. I'm understand I can re-align the neck with two jack handles but I haven't done it yet.

That's a great looking trunk! What thickness board did you use? What did you do for support under the board?

Thanks guys! The eucaboard board is pretty thin but strong, I believe 3/16". This was the only thickness they had at Home Depot and worked fine for my needs. I used it to create a backer board to put the carpet vertical behind the rear seats. I also used it to put down a floor for the trunk it 2 pieces, and a third long piece before the rear seats. With the big tank, there's good support, except for the area closest to the forward area of the fuel tank. (I used a 12" or so block of wood, glued to the top of the fuel tank to support the eucaboard.) Then I used it the create 2 slanted panels for attaching to the rear taillight area. It's strong for it's size, and water resistant too. The shiny side is the best side for glue I found.