$700, 351W worth doing?

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Ok guys I am in a little dilema. Really just looking for some advice. I've got a few scenarios here, right now I am stuck with my stock 302 bottom end with tfs stage 1 cam, trickflow street heat intake, and gt40p heads.

Here's the deal I've got 700 bucks to spend so doing anything outrageous is not an option.

So I am looking for the easiest way to get me to go fast. I have a nitrous kit sitting in the garage but I honestly dont really want to go that route. Although it is still lingering as an option. But, I could sell it to get me a little more cash for a build.

I was thinking about going to a junkyard and pulling a 351w for maybe 200 bucks and having it rebuilt, I would probably have to use stock internals but clean everything up and put all new bearings in it. Also I would be stuck using the parts I've got now, gt40p heads, I would probably sell the intake to use an explorer intake with a truck lower. And I guess I would be stuck with the stock 351 cam if I get a flat tappet motor. So my question is, is this even worth it? Will I be faster or just about in the same spot? What if I manage to find a roller motor and use the gt40intake, heads, and tfs cam?

I guess my other option would just be to save a little more and buy a set of used aluminum heads.

• Sponsors (?)

There was a thread on this same subject here not too long ago.

In a nutshell it came down to either

A) keep the stock engine and upgrade to aluminum heads..

OR

B) buy a used blower for $1k on the classifieds and be done with it.

Biggest bang for the buck is the nitrous system. You will have alot more in a 351 W than 700.00 and even after doubling that, it will still be a cast crank, cast pistoned stock cammed, turd. Nitrous and gears are the single most efficient use of your money. If I were you ( and depending on what N2O system you had) I'd install the system, add maybe a n2o retard system that pulls out timing, be sure that I had a fuel pump that was up to the task of keeping everything safe pressure wise and have some gears thrown in it for my money.

Speed costs $..............how fast do you want to go? Oh about $700.00 worth.............oh...........good luck with that:rolleyes:

Problem is, when you want to go fast with basic parts, you end up breaking parts and costing yourself even more than the $700 that you started with................ask me how I know.

What,....are we gonna have a "bang for the buck" off?

POWER FROM THE NITROUS KIT YOU PRESENTLY OWN WILL KILL THE POTENTIAL 35 HP YOU'LL P/U FROM A SET OF ALUMINUM HEADS!!!(over the heads you already have)

NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! (say it with me) NITROUS!

On the plus side, the mega Millions Lotto just went to $500 Million, drawing on Fri. You could spend $700 on that and when you win you can build yourself the baddest car on the planet:D

POWER FROM THE NITROUS KIT YOU PRESENTLY OWN WILL KILL THE POTENTIAL 35 HP YOU'LL P/U FROM A SET OF ALUMINUM HEADS!!!(over the heads you already have)

Save the $700 for badaboom and refills. In no particular order.

Nitrous is cool. Until the bottle's empty.

No problem you say? Just fill it up again? Ok. Up, empty again! Now what? Oh..ok. Fill it back up. Crap it's empty again!!!!

See where I'm going with this?

I was seriously looking at supercharger kits and if 1000 bucks could net me a bolt on supercharger kit I would do it but it doesnt. I've seen s-trim head units for about 900 bucks. A whole used kit to bolt on i've seen for around 1300. That doesnt include the injectors, maf, extra fuel pump, and tune I am going to need. So I've pretty much ruled that out even though that is what I want the most.

I guess the motor idea isn't realistic either. This isnt my daily driver so I am honestly not too worried about breaking anything, if something breaks, it can sit there till I have money to fix it. The thing I dont like about the ntirous is I will only use it at the track. It just feels fake to me. I dont really want to start an argument about if nitrous is cheating or not, I mean I bought the kit so obviously some part of me wants to use it, but another side doesn't. I guess my options like mentioned before are nitrous, or save a little more for a decent set of heads.

Something I actually just realized is I was always saying this car is a track car. And essentially it is, I built it in that sense, but I really dont see the track that much. Now that the car is registered and insured I like to take it out on a joy ride a couple times a week, and I still like the feeling of driving a race car on the street, but the nitrous just isn't as appealing anymore, which is why I wanted to go in a different direction.

Save the $700 for badaboom and refills. In no particular order.

125 is a safe HP power level for stock internals. Probably get another 50 on top of that if you are diligent w/ timing retard, proper octane, and fuel pressure. What else can he do for the money he has to go any faster?

The good thing about Nitrous is it's there when you want it. No added heat from some hairdryer attached to your exhaust or hogging up power from your crank. Yes you have to refill the bottle, but 700.00 will afford a lot of refills, at 35.00 a charge.

Let's add this up shall we?

Each fill =35.00; Net are 7-10 1/4 mile races per charge. That equates to 7-10 stock 351W kills.
700.00 / 35.00= 20 recharges. 20 x 7 = 140 ass beaten stock 351 windsors.

Nitrous is cool. Until the bottle's empty.

No problem you say? Just fill it up again? Ok. Up, empty again! Now what? Oh..ok. Fill it back up. Crap it's empty again!!!!

See where I'm going with this?
Hey,..I didn't say it was perfect. It's perfect when you don't have alot of money to spend,and you want to go fast. I had a 302 in one of my Fairmonts. World SR. heads, some POS Nitrous Comp cam, 4.11:1 gears and intake and 650 carb. Compression was stock.
Thing was a pig N/A,...( ran 8.70's in 1/8th) but on the bottle,......6.60's
Drove a pig in the gate,...and pressed a button to get a Cheetah.

aluminum heads!

got my TW 170s off corral used for $700...the seller sent them to the machine shop and had them gone through; new upgraded valve springs too...essentially new heads after

remember if you do heads though, you will need money for gaskets, rtv, fluids, etc...it adds up

Hey,..I didn't say it was perfect. It's perfect when you don't have alot of money to spend,and you want to go fast. I had a 302 in one of my Fairmonts. World SR. heads, some POS Nitrous Comp cam, 4.11:1 gears and intake and 650 carb. Compression was stock.
Thing was a pig N/A,...( ran 8.70's in 1/8th) but on the bottle,......6.60's
Drove a pig in the gate,...and pressed a button to get a Cheetah.

Yeah, for track use I guess that's ideal. I've used up many a bottle on the street. Kinda like a fire cracker... a few seconds entertainment, then it's gone. The cost of those firecrackers adds up after a bit, too.

Sell the juice, sell the 40s, buy a set of TW 170s or 190s if you can manage it.

125 is a safe HP power level for stock internals. Probably get another 50 on top of that if you are diligent w/ timing retard, proper octane, and fuel pressure. What else can he do for the money he has to go any faster?

The good thing about Nitrous is it's there when you want it. No added heat from some hairdryer attached to your exhaust or hogging up power from your crank. Yes you have to refill the bottle, but 700.00 will afford a lot of refills, at 35.00 a charge.

Let's add this up shall we?

Each fill =35.00; Net are 7-10 1/4 mile races per charge. That equates to 7-10 stock 351W kills.
700.00 / 35.00= 20 recharges. 20 x 7 = 140 ass beaten stock 351 windsors.

You forgot one variable- distance to fill location. I don't know his situation, but I know I'm at least 45-60 minutes drive from the nearest nitrous fill station. About 35 miles. My car gets about 17 mpg. 70 miles round trip / 17 mpg x 4$ per gallon = ~$16.50. So now we're over $50 per fill, plus time wasted.

I dunno, I'd rather have 50 hp ALL the time, than 150 hp sometimes.

Sell the juice, sell the 40s, buy a set of TW 170s or 190s if you can manage it.

You forgot one variable- distance to fill location. I don't know his situation, but I know I'm at least 45-60 minutes drive from the nearest nitrous fill station. About 35 miles. My car gets about 17 mpg. 70 miles round trip / 17 mpg x 4$ per gallon = ~$16.50. So now we're over $50 per fill, plus time wasted.

I dunno, I'd rather have 50 hp ALL the time, than 150 hp sometimes.

JEEZ! If I was as "out of the loop" as you guys, I would have to sell my junk. An hour's drive to get my bottle refilled? Driving An hour in Birmingham gets you to Montgomery.:rolleyes: Call Airgas,...( or whoever does your welding gas exchange) and get an exchange acct set up for a 50 LB bottle of industrial grade N2O. If you don't have a truck for the monthly (or less) trip to have the 50lb er exchanged, get your buddies or Uncle Ernies truck instead.

Then go to a salvage/used appliance dealer and get a little upright freezer. On your way back from Crazy Elmos' Used appliances, stop off at Walmart, or Office depot and get a freight scale rated for at least 25 lbs. Get a 10' long -4 line for the 50lb Master bottle and you got your very own N20 refill station.....................................In Your Garage.
(Hopefully it's closer than 45 miles):nice:

, I would probably sell the intake to use an explorer intake with a truck lower..
good luck finding a GT40 351 lower for under 400 bucks

JEEZ! If I was as "out of the loop" as you guys, I would have to sell my junk. An hour's drive to get my bottle refilled? Driving An hour in Birmingham gets you to Montgomery.:rolleyes: Call Airgas,...( or whoever does your welding gas exchange) and get an exchange acct set up for a 50 LB bottle of industrial grade N2O. If you don't have a truck for the monthly (or less) trip to have the 50lb er exchanged, get your buddies or Uncle Ernies truck instead.

Then go to a salvage/used appliance dealer and get a little upright freezer. On your way back from Crazy Elmos' Used appliances, stop off at Walmart, or Office depot and get a freight scale rated for at least 25 lbs. Get a 10' long -4 line for the 50lb Master bottle and you got your very own N20 refill station.....................................In Your Garage.
(Hopefully it's closer than 45 miles):nice:

you need a few other parts but yea thats about right.... we have all that set up in the trailer. so we can top off bottles at the track.

Yeah, for track use I guess that's ideal. I've used up many a bottle on the street. Kinda like a fire cracker... a few seconds entertainment, then it's gone. The cost of those firecrackers adds up after a bit, too.

So do all of the extra parts from Summit you'll be buying after the warm and fuzzy wears off from putting on a set of Aluminum heads that only yield 35 more HP.