70mm Cobra MAF on LX

josh072692

Mar 24, 2008
Greenville, SC
  • Sponsors (?)

On it won't work with the F1ZF sensor... it may 'seem' right when you fire it up, but it is a hack job and there is NO reason to do it.

This auction for a Factory Ford 70mm Mass Air Meter for '89/'93 Mustangs. This air meter is identical to the 1993 Mustang Cobra 70mm air meter except this is calibrated for 19lb/hr fuel injectors. This is a bolt on performance part. Nice Shape, fully functional.
LIES

You cannot recalibrate a Ford MAF meter by simply changing the sensor to a "19Lb" sensor.
NO WAY, NO HOW!

A message to anyone reading along...
Buying MAF meters on ebay is a MAJOR gamble. These guys don't give a crap how your car will run, as long as you paypal the cash.

Please stop buying them...

Your best bet to run that housing with 19's on a A9* ecu, is to install a F2VF sensor in the housing.
This will make it pretty close to what the 94-95 Mustangs ran, which is a direct swap... at least as far as the electronics go.

The sensor can be found on several other applications... don't remember any though...

A search here should yield a couple of applications.

Or, I would just walk through the local pull a part, if you have one...

Is the F2VF sensor on the 94-95 mustangs, and what else is it on. Thanks

MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs.
You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

That's a new one to me...
Unless the 'F4ZX' unit superceded the F2VF, then it's wrong.
I'm not sure how to check that the F2VF unit has been superceded though....

Has anyone else seen this sensor number?

Could it be that the last digits are the important ones? Like xxxx-12B579-xxx where the x's represent non important information. That would make more sense for a part number rather than the first 4 digits, which are supposed to represent the year of manufacture.

I just found a v6 out of a 94 mustang but the first 4 numbers are F4ZX on the mass air. Are all of those motors suppose to have the F2VF. Thanks

What are the rest of the numbers? That might not be the right meter for the 94 (a la some 94-95 GT guys use New Edge meters, even though the transfer curve isnt right. Since the car runs, they leave it be. :notnice: ).

It is off a v6 not a gt, and he said that it was all stock.

Again, all 94-95's use the same meter from the factory.

Unless the person I'm talkin to is the one and only owner the car has ever had, I don't put much trust in what is said.

You can get the correct married 70mm 94-95 meter and housing for very cheap online or in a junkyard. I would not reinvent the wheel when the correct part is easy and cheap to come by.

Good luck.

Could it be that the last digits are the important ones? Like xxxx-12B579-xxx where the x's represent non important information. That would make more sense for a part number rather than the first 4 digits, which are supposed to represent the year of manufacture.

I've been wondering on this a little myself :nice:

From what I have seen though, those first 4 are the most important.

My theory is...
The first 2 digits are the year of the design release or maybe the production year (of the meter, not the car).
The second 2 digits are the 'calibration' designators.

For example...
F1ZF would have been designed in '91
E9ZF would have been designed in '89
Both of these meters seem to have the same 'calibration', and are interchangeable.
(same should be true for an F2VF and F4VF sensor...???)

Keep in mind,
This is just my theory, based on what I have noticed with some part numbers... I have done ZERO testing, and have never seen anything from Ford to support this theory.

I don't know...