72 Mach 1 body, 70 351c two barrel. engine.. Question. =]

bryan17

Dec 29, 2003
Allrighty,

I am the owner of a brand new (to me ) 72 Mach 1. Bodys in ncie shape, interior is crap, engine is.. well, blah. The owner says the original engine went to crap and he stuck this 302 in.

Its got a 302 2 barrel in it thats looking, sounding and seeming very very tired, and I really dont wanna have anything to do with it. I would much prefer a lovely, and considerably stronger 351c, and have even priced a potential. Its out of a 70 however,. Thus bringing us to my question.

Im guessing, that pulling out the 302 and dropping in the 351 would be a pretty simple affair. Its looks simple, sounds simple but that doesnt always mean it is. So I figured Id ask the pro's out there how difficult this would be to pull off? What all would I need be needing besdies the engine? The linkage, transmission and radiator should all work correct? As for wiring, its pretty much non-existent.. So, is as simple as "Pull the 302, put the 351c in, and hook all the crap up to it I unhooked from the 302?" Or will I be needing any special parts/wiring/knowledge to pull this off? Im a pretty capable mechanic and know my way around engines and such, but some jobs have those pesky little quirks involved and Id really prefer to avoid any surprises.

Any information you have in regards to this would be great and very helpful. I'd like to get started on this as soon as humanly possible but I dont have a garage, and my neighbors are ass-hats. So once the old engine is out and work has begun, I have to finish up a decently short amount of time. I cant afford to have it in peices for weeks ya know?

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

The 351C shares the 302's bellhousing and motor mounts, so all thats really needed is to make sure you get all the 351C's accessory setup ( mainly the bracketry) and you'll have to have the exhaust hooked up for the cleveland, If you're going to use headers, this is a given anyway.