73 Fastback Restoration/Rebuild 302 --> 351 4v

aweedman

Jun 30, 2006
San Francisco
Hi all. I'm just getting into restoring and rebuilding cars. I have a 73 Fastback with a 302 in it. Brakes have been redone. Body is next. Then I have some electrical and interior work to do. After that, I'd like to put a 351 4v in it. What will it take to make this happen as far as parts, compatibility to what's in there, etc?

Al

• Sponsors (?)

Yea you can put a 4bbl on the 302, but with a heavier car like yours, you really need to wait and go with a bigger engine. You need more torque to move the extra weight and mass, not more horsepower. Everything that you can do to make that 302 put out more power, will make that extra power, higher up the rpm scale. A larger engine with more stroke will give it both more horsepower and torque, lower down the scale as opposed to a 302. Upgrades to a 302 will generally just give it more horsepower, you may see some extra torque, but that too, will be higher up the rpm band. The 351's have the same bore as a 302, but a full 1/2" more stroke in the crank and that makes more torque. A simple 302 upgrade to a 4 bbl intake and carb will net you about 20-30 hp. You can net that without the intake swap with a Holley list 4412 500 cfm 2 bbl carb. Bolt on swap to your present intake.

What makes the w easier than the c? We're thinking of going 351 for Eleanor, after 2 302's and the third one being a pita to tune and keep happy we're thinking maybe it's the way to go. We also just found out the PO actually had a C for her but got talked out of it by her ex....

The Windsor shares more parts with the 302. Like accessory brackets, timing covers, exhaust (not always but most times) Going from a 302 to a Cleveland, it's easier if you have a complete engine with all the accessories to start with, if you're using A/C, P/S in additon to the alternator.