73 Fastback with 71-72 Fenders

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
Just stumbled across this car on eBay: 1973 Mustang Fastback

Since there's been much confusion in the past over what front end parts can be exchanged between 71-72-73, I figured it's worth posting this as an example of what happens when 71-72 Fenders are matched with 73 fender extensions and bumper. Note the strange gap behind the bottom of the fender extensions.

The lower valance also appears to be from 71-72, which is probably why the bumper doesn't look like it fits quite right on either bottom side. (probably also why there aren't any straight-on profile pictures).

• Sponsors (?)

Platonic Solid said:
Just stumbled across this car on eBay: 1973 Mustang Fastback

Since there's been much confusion in the past over what front end parts can be exchanged between 71-72-73, I figured it's worth posting this as an example of what happens when 71-72 Fenders are matched with 73 fender extensions and bumper. Note the strange gap behind the bottom of the fender extensions.

The lower valance also appears to be from 71-72, which is probably why the bumper doesn't look like it fits quite right on either bottom side. (probably also why there aren't any straight-on profile pictures).

i have pics of my car, if i emailed the pics to you would you post them?

Hey thanks for pointing that out. I have been wondering how to "see" the difference and this illustrates it really well.

I have a question though--could I put the 71-72 hockey stick stripes on a 73 and have it look OK? Is the side marker in the same spot on all three years or is it moved higher/lower on the 71-72s vs the 73s? Thanks!

69 Rustang said:
Hey thanks for pointing that out. I have been wondering how to "see" the difference and this illustrates it really well.

I have a question though--could I put the 71-72 hockey stick stripes on a 73 and have it look OK? Is the side marker in the same spot on all three years or is it moved higher/lower on the 71-72s vs the 73s? Thanks!
If not identical, they're certainly darn close. Using the fender crease just above the front side marker lights as a gage, the measurement from there to the top of the marker lights is about 8" on both 71-72 & 73.

yeah i was thinking the same thing as 69rustang i was gonig to put the 71-72 strips on my 73 cause the 73 look horrible... and im pretty sure they match up... also just to throw this out there why do people put a single or double strips of the 71-73 mach1 i think they look queer when they do that the the stock strip on the hood with the pin strip looks great then match that with the hockey stick stripes with a off color on the bottom of the door and man they look great... heres a link to a car on ebay which shows what im talking about...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...category=6236&item=4562631845&sspagename=WDVW

x73mach1x said:
yeah i was thinking the same thing as 69rustang i was gonig to put the 71-72 strips on my 73 cause the 73 look horrible... and im pretty sure they match up... also just to throw this out there why do people put a single or double strips of the 71-73 mach1 i think they look queer when they do that the the stock strip on the hood with the pin strip looks great then match that with the hockey stick stripes with a off color on the bottom of the door and man they look great... heres a link to a car on ebay which shows what im talking about...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...category=6236&item=4562631845&sspagename=WDVW

i don't get your point. argent silver is the stock contrast color for blue, green, and black. this car is exactly how i want my car to look when i get done with it. i love the blue/argent combo.

Here are Pushrod's '73 to '71 conversion pics:

front-end1.jpg

d-bumper1.jpg

p-bumper1.jpg

Pushrod, are you planning on getting the fender extensions chromed (since 73s aren't available in chrome) or painting the hood molding?

With a bit more tweaking it should look pretty good, though if a paint job is in your future, replacing the fenders may have been an easier way to go.

I'd like to see clearer pictures when/if you get a chance, and maybe a nose shot that doesn't cut off the bumper ends.

:nice:

Platonic Solid said:
Pushrod, are you planning on getting the fender extensions chromed (since 73s aren't available in chrome) or painting the hood molding?

With a bit more tweaking it should look pretty good, though if a paint job is in your future, replacing the fenders may have been an easier way to go.

I'd like to see clearer pictures when/if you get a chance, and maybe a nose shot that doesn't cut off the bumper ends.

:nice:
many thanks for posting the pics platonic. :nice:

i'm not sure if i'm going to get them chromed or not. yeah, as you can see paint is definitely in the cards.

like i said in my email i had clearer pics but my daughter completely erased my file, i was lucky to find that bumper pic. right now the drive shaft is out and getting resized again (my fault) and since my driveway is at an angle i don't want to push it out to take pics. i hope to have the driveshaft back next week and i'll send some better pics.

pushrod i was talking about people putting racing strips on the mach1 instead of the stock strip on the hood... the argent/blue combo is really nice looking and thats what im going to paint my car when its done... also another question is there any way of fixing the rubber bumper on the mach1's... i dont want to switch to chrome....