73 voltage regulator wiring???

mudbilly

Jun 3, 2005
South County, Maryland
when i replaced my alternator, the plug was bad, so i cut it off and put a seperate connector on each wire and pluggrd them back in the correct locations. i meant to write down or take a picture, but never got around to it.....

the body shop replaced the inner fender, and un-hooked the voltage regulator, and now i don't know what wire goes where....

if anybody can walk me thru this, or supply a picture that shows what color wire goes i can get power back and finish putting the interior back together.

thanks

IMG_0132.jpg

Attachments

• Sponsors(?)

mudbilly

Jun 3, 2005
South County, Maryland
that gets me half way there, would that be from looking at the regulator from the opt or the bottom.

If you are looking at the top of the regulator, where does the hot wire go (i measured 12v across one of the ones coming from the alternator.

and what lug does the one that DOES the wire that does not go to the alternator, ( three of the wires do go to the alternator) but goes to the front end of the car, go to?

then i only have 2 left over and i think i can figure those out by color, but if you can give me colors for all of them and what lugs they go to on the regulator (looknig at it from the top) i will know that i won't burn things up

i really appreciate your help, as you can tell, i'm not really good at reading a schematic :shrug:

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
Visit site
Here's a wiring diagram that should be easier to follow. It's from the 72 shop manual, but it's pretty much the same for 73 (looks like some minor wire stripe color differences). The first diagram is used if you have a charging indicator light, the second if you have an ammeter.

Note that your Regulator is labeled: "I", "A", "S", "F" and Alternator is labeled: "BAT", "STA", "FLD".

72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Ind.jpg

72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Amm.jpg

I'd take a picture of mine, but it's been respliced with an aftermarket replacement, so the colors aren't to the 73 wiring diagram.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
flashback87 3g Alt Voltage Regulator Sense Wire? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Doomstein External Voltage regulator wiring question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
J 69 Voltage Regulator wiring Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
legalize420 voltage regulator wires 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
B Can I use the green-red wire from the voltage regulator as 12 volt source? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
B 1 wire external voltage regulator Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
S Voltage Regulator Wires on Alternator Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
v8quest 1969-70 voltage regulator wiring help! Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
Hudson N Voltage regulator/alternator problems Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
H 84 Mustang With Odd Electrical Issue Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
S 1967 Mustang Alternator Charging Problem 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
E Electrical '03 V6 5sp With Alternator Or Voltage Regulator Probs SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
tos Warm Voltage regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
robbz28 Another voltage regulator thread 67 coupe Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
B Mustang Jerks really bad when voltage regulator plugged in Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
B top harness and voltage regulator questions Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
Luis911 Voltage regulator or Alternator? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
chris66dad How to make a solid state instrument voltage regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
B voltage regulator? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
J Voltage Regulator 1967 Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
6 Voltage Regulator - electronic or mechanical? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
1993SSP Ditching the voltage regulator... question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
1993SSP Alternator question, ditching voltage regulator Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
L Voltage Regulator - Instrument Panel Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
jo-shmo Voltage regulator?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
G Voltage regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
C Alternator - Voltage regulator problem Classic Mustang Specific Tech 14
M Reliable tests for Alternator and Voltage Regulator? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
jdium Voltage Regulator? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
C alternator/voltage regulator 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 24
L Voltage Regulator Q? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
nopho85024 Did I fry my voltage regulator? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
T Ugrade Alternator = Upgrade Voltage Regulator? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
SHIFTY101EASY New Voltage Regulator - HELP!!!!!! Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
T eliminating voltage regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 10
D Voltage Regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
P Thing under voltage regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
93 teal terror can you replace an internal voltage regulator? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
L what would cause me to keep blowing voltage regulators? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
K Voltage Regulator aka Slosh Module Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
1970impala AMP meter, voltage regulator problem 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 22
93 teal terror Would a bad regulator cause a fluctuating voltage? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
urban96 Bad voltage regulator? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
C Converting 64 Falcon to EFI. Voltage Regulator questions Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
Az Pete '66 Constant Voltage Regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
crazypete Is there a way to tap into raw pre-regulated alternator voltage? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 28
M Voltage regulator? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
V voltage regulator Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
mschmidt10k Instrument voltage regulator started smoking? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
YadiStang Low voltage at coil - after trying to start the motor? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1