73 voltage regulator wiring???

when i replaced my alternator, the plug was bad, so i cut it off and put a seperate connector on each wire and pluggrd them back in the correct locations. i meant to write down or take a picture, but never got around to it.....

the body shop replaced the inner fender, and un-hooked the voltage regulator, and now i don't know what wire goes where....

if anybody can walk me thru this, or supply a picture that shows what color wire goes i can get power back and finish putting the interior back together.

thanks

IMG_0132.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 849
  • Sponsors (?)

that gets me half way there, would that be from looking at the regulator from the opt or the bottom.

If you are looking at the top of the regulator, where does the hot wire go (i measured 12v across one of the ones coming from the alternator.

and what lug does the one that DOES the wire that does not go to the alternator, ( three of the wires do go to the alternator) but goes to the front end of the car, go to?

then i only have 2 left over and i think i can figure those out by color, but if you can give me colors for all of them and what lugs they go to on the regulator (looknig at it from the top) i will know that i won't burn things up

i really appreciate your help, as you can tell, i'm not really good at reading a schematic :shrug:

Here's a wiring diagram that should be easier to follow. It's from the 72 shop manual, but it's pretty much the same for 73 (looks like some minor wire stripe color differences). The first diagram is used if you have a charging indicator light, the second if you have an ammeter.

Note that your Regulator is labeled: "I", "A", "S", "F" and Alternator is labeled: "BAT", "STA", "FLD".

72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Ind.jpg

72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Amm.jpg

I'd take a picture of mine, but it's been respliced with an aftermarket replacement, so the colors aren't to the 73 wiring diagram.

Attachments

• 72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Ind.jpg
    72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Ind.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 689
  • 72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Amm.jpg
    72Must-Alt-Reg-Wire-Amm.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4,314