73mm front brakes calipers

• Sponsors (?)

i was at the junkyard and i found the calipers but they look exactly the same as the stock front. what part is actually 60mm and 73mm, is it the piston or what because im not seeing anything different. Oh by the way the the junk yard was saling them for $18.16 each.

The piston is larger then the stockers. Larger psitons means the pad has more pressure on the rotor. When i did mine I could see the size difference. I place them side by side and it was easy to spot the 73mm caliper. BTW I got rebuilt 73mm calipers for 29 per side. Just gotta shop around.

-a

87gtconv said:
I did the upgrade per the instructions above and the only problem is that now my right front brake locks up way early!!

Did you convert to a 2 port master cylinder and do the T-thing discribed on Matt's website? I did this on my 82 Capri and man it stops great. When the fronts lock up its both and they lock at the same time.

-a

87gtconv said:
I did the upgrade per the instructions above and the only problem is that now my right front brake locks up way early!!

That's because the stock Fox brake setup blows. The MC is a 3 port design. 1 port for rear drums, and 1 port each for front brakes. The rear brakes and the passenger brake all go through the proportioning valve while the driver's brake sees direct fluid pressure. :rolleyes:

I got my 73's from Autozone for 15.99. Ask for the ones off a mid 80's Crown Vic with the police or taxi package. They come with steel pistons and not that phenolic stuff.

There is a noticeable difference in caliper size. The 73's look huge compared to the 60's

I am putting them on my '85 now that i upgraded my '88's brakes to something even bvetter

I went with the Cobra MC conversion from Maximum Motor Sports and it sucks badly. I talked to Matt and he gave me the T fitting but I never put it on cause I didnt think it would make a big difference!! Guess I should try it!!