Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

Adding to your post reminded me where it was that I said I'd get a pic of the air cleaner and scoop when I had access to the car again!! I mentioned it in post #7, here is what you see looking into the scoop. Pay no attention to how dirty the car is!! :)

40506154873_8a66024357.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for that picture... Now it is also well documented.
If I finished the rear end of the car, I will finaly go to the engine bay. I will post pictures when i try the fitment of the 2''drop air cleaner.

I tried today the holley 4180 with the 2'' drop air cleaner and put a piece of wood above it to measure the distance to the highest point of the front fender:
IMG_20190330_164857.jpg

My engine sits about 1 inch higher than stock, I have a edelbrock performer RPM intake manifold, a 4180 holley (which is a tiny bit higher than a 4150 or 4160) and the 2'' drop air cleaner (from summitracing):
the distance to the fender is 60 mm
the middle of the hood is 35mm higher than the hood at the side (facing to the fender=same height)
means if i cut the hood and use a scoop, the air filter would sit 25mm above the hood

@LILCBRA: could you do me a favor: and measure how your air cleaner is sitting?! you can measure the additional height you gain with your scoop?!

Reactions: 1 user
I see what you mean by being too tall, Where the distributor is not in will it even get along with the 2 inch drop Air cleaner? Might need the smaller cap distributor too. You have the oil pan with the square corners, I assume that is why your engine needs to sit higher?

The Eldelbrock RPM Air Gap is the manifold of choice (for me), but between yours and Lil Cobras, I don't think it will work for mine.
I no want holes in my hood.

Will need a shorty manifold. Either stock 4V or Weiand stealth

I'll try to remember to measure stuff this afternoon for you. So you want me to measure like you pictured, a straight edge across the air cleaner, then the distance from the straight edge to the fender? Then you're looking for the amount of clearance my scoop gives?

One thing I can tell you that is different about our cars is I am using the stock MII oil pan and mounts, so it sits at stock height. My air cleaner base is standard, it has no drop. And I'll double check when I measure everything, but I believe the air cleaner filter is 2 inches tall. Let me know if there is something else you want me to check out for you. :)

Yes, both measurements as you described would be great. Could you additional measure the distance from the cowl vent (where the hood starts) to the middel of the air cleaner?
You don't need to hurry. :)

Many thanks.

Here is what I got for you a little bit ago. I did not measure across where the stud is located because my hold down nut it is quite a bit taller, but this should get you some good info. I should note that the top of my air cleaner is the Summit Racing K&N filter type and it's flat. I used a 2x4 as my straight edge as you can see in the pics and all measurements are made with my metric scale. I also took a picture of the air cleaner bottom as it sits on my carburetor so you have an idea of what you may expect given yours is a 2" drop. I can measure the height of the collar on the base if need be. The distance between the stud and the cowl is roughly 13.25 inches.

You can see the hole that I cut in the hood much easier in this shot.

33633906038_564e11f6cb_z.jpg

This is the leading edge of the the hood scoop hole near the center of the hood. You should be able to make out the center body line to the right of the scale.

47457964872_20eb6ae055_c.jpg

The rear part of the hole.

40544659273_c27f61b396_c.jpg

Right side front.

40544785063_6e75a62ea5_c.jpg

Left side front.

46595314655_8f517ddeaa_c.jpg
r

Right side rear.

46595314555_b51eceff91_c.jpg

Left side rear.

46595314215_d792f779dc_c.jpg
[

The air cleaner base.

40544653673_e433a47c66_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks alot!!! In metric units! Wow ;-)
I will remeasure at my car, but it seems, that i need a bigger scoop. Im still not sure if this is good or not :D
It's also nice to see a double pumper!
On your foto i can also see the distributor clearance issue that was mentioned. But I'm using the old style distributor lying around from my 66 mustang, which seems to have the small cap. But I think before cutting the hood, i should get the engine running with all accessories. If i run into other clearance issues i have to rethink and rework the engine location...

Yep, metric units! I was a journeyman toolmaker and have a dual measure scale with metric on one side and inch on the other, and since you're in Europe I figured metric would be easier for you compared to having to convert to something you're used to. :)
One thing I didn't think of was the overall height of my air cleaner for something to compare to. I'll try to remember to do that this afternoon after work again so you have an idea what the difference is compared to your air cleaner. The filter element is 2 inches I believe, but the lid is thicker given it is a flow through design and, as I said before, my hold down nut is thick as well.

Ok, the overall height of my air cleaner assembly is about 85mm. My hold down nut is maybe 18mm? Let's round that up to 20mm for a nice round number. So, from the carburetor flange it is 105mm including the hold down nut. Hopefully this helps you a bit more! :)

What a sunday!
A nice piece of beef from the BBQ for lunch.
And then i measured my carb/air cleaner/hood again.
My 4180 carb measures 88mm in height, it is a bit higher than 4160 or 4150 carbs becaue the idle mixture screws are in the base plate located.
The summit racing 2'' dropped air cleaner measures 74mm height, but the air cleaner top is not flat. It is 20mm higher in the middle than compared to the sides. So it is about 30mm lower at the highest point compared with your setup.
I remeasure my setup relative to the sides of the air cleaner (air cleaner filter element + sheet metal thickness of the top cover) not to the middle as last time:
On the front it is 45mm driver side and 40mm codriver side.
Rear is 25mm driver side and 22mm codriver side.
This means LILCBRAs hood scoop will work on my car too!!! :)
I'm happy, beacuse my wife said: higher hood scoop doesn't look good. It's much easier to work on the car with the blessing of your wife.

My engine sits about 1 inch further to the front as yours. That is why the drive shaft length is still perfect and to the radiator there is still 1/2 inch distance.

I will check the fitment of the air cleaner if the distributor is ready to be installed. Then I can order the scoop.

First i thought: what a mess. Know i'm excited about cutting my first hood for a hood scoop.

Many thanks to LILCBRA!

Reactions: 1 users
No problem!! I'm happy to help and that you found a solution!! And it sounds like your day has been great all around!!

As for ordering an identical hood scoop, I'd have to search to find one as you may have to, I don't know if anyone offers an aftermarket replacement. You may get lucky and find one on Ebay? That might be your best bet. I'll look in a little while to see if there are any part numbers underneath mine, I think there are. Hopefully that can help too.

I have found this hood scoop:
79 scoop

I think this one should fit. They offer also diffrent ones (the bigger 429 scoop), but i think from what you measured and from the discritpion, that his one should be the same or very close.

And it's new, its made from fiberglass and its bolt-on. And shipping to europe is available.

I finished the underbody of the car (except the front wheel wells). Fluid film worked great to get the old bitumen underbody protection soft again. It's also black-brown(ish) again. The areas where the old unterbody protection fell off, was painted and new bitumen underbody protection was applied.
The diff did get new bearings yesterday, but i will need to set it up at the weekend. Next week at thusday I want to but the complete rear end back into the car together with a buddy.

IMG_20190416_172809.jpg

I have a set of cragar SS wheel that came with the car, when i bought it. The car came also with the stock MustangII wheels.
I'm still not sure if both wheels can by balanced on a balancing machine that's using a cone to center the wheel.
I know this problem from my 66 Mustang: the center hole is excentric and the wheels are centered by the lug nuts. I didn't find someone around that could balance the wheel "on the lug nuts", because they all have this cone balancing machines...
My solution was to buy new wheels because i also wanted some 15x7 and there is a nice (and cheap!) steel wheel made in europe that had enough backspacing to fit the car.
The cragar SS have this elongated holes (see picture) for the studs and this special lug nuts to center the wheel, but the question is, if the center hole is excentric or not?!
Unbenannt.JPG

The same thing on the stock wheels: is the center hole is excentric or not?!

I found some steel wheels from an modern french car that should be very similar to the stock wheel except they are 15'' in diameter:
5,5x15, ET8
s-l1600.jpg
Advantage of them would be that I will have no issues to get my licenes plates (some TÜV inspectors go crazy about diffrent wheels esspecialy with the cragar wheels), they can be balanced everywhere and there are much more tires available then in 13''. 195/50R15 and 185/55R15 would fit perfect.
Perhaps they whould look ok with some crome rings on them... But i would like to use the original wheel instead.

I have a set of cragar SS wheel that came with the car, when i bought it. The car came also with the stock MustangII wheels.
I'm still not sure if both wheels can by balanced on a balancing machine that's using a cone to center the wheel.
I know this problem from my 66 Mustang: the center hole is excentric and the wheels are centered by the lug nuts. I didn't find someone around that could balance the wheel "on the lug nuts", because they all have this cone balancing machines...
My solution was to buy new wheels because i also wanted some 15x7 and there is a nice (and cheap!) steel wheel made in europe that had enough backspacing to fit the car.
The cragar SS have this elongated holes (see picture) for the studs and this special lug nuts to center the wheel, but the question is, if the center hole is excentric or not?!
Unbenannt.JPG

The same thing on the stock wheels: is the center hole is excentric or not?!

I found some steel wheels from an modern french car that should be very similar to the stock wheel except they are 15'' in diameter:
5,5x15, ET8
s-l1600.jpg
Advantage of them would be that I will have no issues to get my licenes plates (some TÜV inspectors go crazy about diffrent wheels esspecialy with the cragar wheels), they can be balanced everywhere and there are much more tires available then in 13''. 195/50R15 and 185/55R15 would fit perfect.
Perhaps they whould look ok with some crome rings on them... But i would like to use the original wheel instead.

On the Cragars, there is a correct way to set the balancer up for them, I'll see if we have the adapters at the shop tonight and snap some pics (assuming I remember).