$75.00

9COOP5

Feb 25, 2017
Repair shop just told me he was going to charge $75.00 to find out exactly what was wrong with my car. I heard a pop and then my manual shifter gearbox was stuck on my '96 mustang and I couldn't shift gears. Not sure what to expect?

• Sponsors (?)

$75 to tell you your transmission may be fubar?

Is your clutch working normally? In other words, clutch in is neutral and if you let it out the car will drive forward? In that case, the shifter is stuck due to something in the transmission?

Does this car have an aftermarket shifter? Have you pulled up the shift boot to inspect nothing has come loose on the shifter?

Is this a V8 car? (T-45) or a V6 car? (T-5)?

This is a '96 3.8 mustang 5 speed. It has stock everything. The clutch goes in and out fine. I am not able to shift through the gears because they are stuck/jammed. It is very difficult to try and put the shifter into gear.

In that case, If it's not the shifter itself, then something internal of the T5 has jammed. I have seen this before, but the only way to know what is to open it up and take a peek.

Of course, that's all I can tell you from here. Someone in person should look at the car and rule out something I cannot see from here