77 Cobra Restoration Questions

MattD77

Feb 25, 2017
Hello All,

I recently have begun restoring my 77 cobra II. I plan on keeping my 302 with only mild modifications, (cam shaft, headers, and keep my edelbrock 600 4 barrel) but I am looking to convert my C4 tranny to a 4 or 5 speed manual with minimal modifications. I've done a little research and see a T5 is one way to go but can't confirm if it is basically a bolt on job with my existing flywheel, torque converter, etc. I know there are 4 speeds out there as well. Any suggestions or recommendations on the conversion to manual for someone starting out with limited mechanical knowledge and a limited budget?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet,
Best advice I have for you is search this site,and Google for automatic to manual swap..It's not a small project to take on,with Aton of little things to be done along with all the big parts lol.
Parts I can think of at the moment would be the T-5 transmission. Bellhousing.clutch kit. Correct flywheel. Shifter. Transmission crossmember.driveshaft.npedal assembly. Quadrant and cable. and maybe a starter..
I'm sure others will drop in with corrections and advice for ya