78 mustang

Encouragement!
iu-19.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ebay, RockAuto, Amazon ect carry them. Just be aware the 75/76 had the radiator cap in the hose and no cap on the radiator. Just make sure your using whichever hose set the radiator is made for.

Rock auto has a couple hoses listed. Looks like they only have 1 left of each.

My t top car is a march 77 build date but a 78 title. It has the 78 rear seats. The t top trim pieces are 3 pieces which is different from a 78 top parts car I have which has 1 piece trim pieces. The t top fittment is better on the parts car. I think my car was done by the outside vendor and the 78 done in house. My question for you is about the torque box. Mine only has the upper bolts through the firewall. The rest is welded. Yours looks like it has bolts in 3 places. Was it like that when you got it? Is it welded and bolted?

You asked earler about the quarter windows. If it came with the Targa band it could not have the opening quarter windows. The band interferes with them opening. If it does not have the Targa band it could have been ordered that way but most that I have seen are fixed windows. The opening ones seem to be on the cars that came loaded with options.

thanks guys ill try rock auto for my rad hoses, hopefully they will send the right ones. Ya i like that the quarter windows open and.my torque boxes were just bolted on,no welds. I am sure that was original. I also have the original metal shield i call it that covers the back window, with the stainless hinges and latches' think it make the car look cool,iam putting it back on. will post some more pics soon

Reactions: 2 users
me again this probably comes off as a stupid question, can someone tell me what the difference is between these two starter solenoids. The one with the two terminals on the front is the one i bought, and the other one is the original i think .i thought the two wires in my pic with the new one the wires hooked to the terminals on the front.the old pic to the right says different.why is that.?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220123_125902.jpg
    thumbnail_20220123_125902.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail_20211205_102720.jpg
    thumbnail_20211205_102720.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 58
me again this probably comes off as a stupid question, can someone tell me what the difference is between these two starter solenoids. The one with the two terminals on the front is the one i bought, and the other one is the original i think .i thought the two wires in my pic with the new one the wires hooked to the terminals on the front.the old pic to the right says different.why is that.?
The aftermarket one is made for all type of Fords. My 66 Mustang used such a 4-Terminal solenoid. Here is an description and you can read there, that the I terminal is not used for all vehicles:

25eb7cd027467cd19870b2280782271e.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Extra nailed it. Just remember you can use a 4 post in any application. A 3 post can only replace a 3 post. So aftermarket mostly makes 4 posts since they are pretty much universal.

For me if it has points ignition you use the 4 post. Points will burn out faster on constant 12v. Therefore they run on 9ish volts except for starting when the hotter spark helps turn the cold engine over.

For me if it has points ignition you use the 4 post. Points will burn out faster on constant 12v. Therefore they run on 9ish volts except for starting when the hotter spark helps turn the cold engine over.
My 74 has 9V when running and 12V when on "start" with the "board electronics" and it has points from the factory.

hi again, need more help. Can someone post a diagram showing where all the vacume lines go for the 78- 302.i bought a new 4 barrell 600 holey carb but because the car wasnt together when i bought it ,never had the chance to see what goes where.thanks

It runs between mount and inner fender. It should lay tight against inner fender near master cylinder then cuts across to hug the block just behind the mount. If your running headers be careful. If it's not located correctly it can melt the cable. Especially if timing is off on initial break in on a flat tappet engine. I would never again use a brand new timing light for the first time to set timing on break-in of a fresh flat tappet engine. But I digress.

Same with the speedo cable. Either buy a longer one or make certain it is tight against the inner fender.

IMG_20200619_135338642.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
ok,thank you very much, now i can install it the right way. .in your pick of your motor can you tell me what the number is stamped on your bracket that bolts to your motor and the housing that holds your power steering pump.the steel one,mine is missing someone made up a plate.i would like to get the right one .thanks alot for your help.

I have texted with him several times and purchased a couple items. His prices seem high to me but he has access to more parts then anyone else I know of. The items I did purchase were definetly used but in good condition. His prices for a heater box from an ac car prompted me to just find another car as a doner.

What are you looking for? I have a couple II's as parts cars. I am not in the parts business but I may have extras of what you need.

I will get part numbers off the p/s bracket in a day or two. It's still cold here but supposed to warm up in the next few days and I will get out to the barn then. My old ass doesn't do the cold any more.

hi guys looking for insight.has anyone here bought any car parts from a Phill Schmidt,lives in the states. what is he like to deal with.thanks
I've bought from him before, felt he was a bit overpriced, but the parts I got were in good, usable condition, and given the rarity of some of the pieces I was asking for, I wasn't too upset.

However, dating all the way back to the MustangII.net days, I've heard many horror stories, and there was even a big ruckus raised on the Mustang II Facebook groups about him recently, with Brett McHugh (who I've personally bought parts from and know to be good to do business with) being one of the main Phil detractors.