79 Volvo with a modded mustang 5.0 motor video

trev0006

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
1979 Volvo 242 GT w/ '92 5.0 efi

Drivetrain: '92 5.0 block w/ GT-40 heads, GT-40 intake, 65 mm throttle body, Pro-M 77mm mass-air, 24lb injectors, E-303 cam, NOS stage 2 w/ 100 shot, March alum. underdrive pulleys, elec. fan, alum. Corvette rad., Ford M.S. T-5 Z tans., Ford M.S. alum. driveshaft shortened for Volvo, stock Volvo limited slip rear-en w/ 3.54's

Suspension: IPD sport springs w/ IPD F&R sway bars, Bilstien shocks & struts, Urethane bushings around.

Best times @ 2200ft w/ street tires
13.13 @ 106.65 on engine
12.43 @ 114.98 w/ 75hp shot
http://extrememustang.com/videos/Baddass Volvo.WMV

• Sponsors (?)

Michael Yount has a '82 with a 5.0 in it. My grandmother has a '90 Volvo 240 also, but no 5.0, but if she ever gives it to me, it could happen. Older Volvo's are very well built solid cars, like a tank. The one thing they lack is the engine, but you could easily put a big block under the hood, there is so much room. Talk about sleeper.

I would like to know too.I would love to get a station wagon Volvo and put a 5.0 in it.Is it a hard swap? What are the best years for this swap?I saw Mr Younts Pic of his Volvo,and my mouth was open!!Thats seems to be a popular swap.So how about some answers guys?

Go to www.converseengineering.com. There are a number of them out there, and the small block Chevy/LT1/LS1 swaps occur too. Even some guys with GN Buick turbo motors in them. A big block would be a bit of tight fit - the overall dimensions/weight of the 200/700 series are similar to the Mustangs. The 900 series are a bit bigger, but not much. Solid unibody, with good suspension (struts front, properly hung solid axle - parallel 4 link with Panhard rod - the 900 series has a torque arm layout, 4 wheel disc brakes, sway bars all from the factory). Parts for the older ones are readily available and the cars are easy to work on.

I'd hate to be the one who's got to explain all of those black marks in the parking lot to my boss the next morning. Either way...looks fun....almost as much fun as trying to clean all of that burn rubber off of the quarter panel afterwards. ;)

Converse Engineering makes a kit - mild steel plates that bolt into the Volvo frame and crossmember accept the Mustang motor mounts; mild steel plate that bolts into the Volvo tranny crossmember accepts the Mustang tranny mount for T-5 or AOD. You have to have custom machine work done for the driveshaft - either replace the Volvo 2-piece with a one piece custom, or modify the first part of the Volvo 2-piece shaft to accept the T-5/AOD yoke/u-joint. Volvo clutch cable hooks to T-5 with minimal mods. Volvo speedo cable hooks to T-5 with minimal mods. Mustang throttle cable hooks to Volvo pedal with minimal mods. Ford A/C compressor hooks to Volvo hoses with minimal mods. Ford power steering pump hooks to Volvo rack with a new high pressure hose. Swap in the Volvo sending units (with bushings) and the Volvo coolant gauge and oil idiot light work with as original. There are only a handful of connections between the Volvo wiring and the Ford efi wiring - fuel pump, hot for the computer, oil pressure light, coolant gauge, tach, ignition, alternator to the main Volvo power/fuse buss, custom route back up lights to T-5 tranny switch. Electric cooling fans have to be used, but if you get a V-6 or diesel radiator they have enough capacity; have the tanks reconfigured so the hoses are in the same locations as the Mustang; heater hoses are easy connects behind the engine. Exhaust is a bit tight - just have a custom system configured from the head pipes back -- Y-pipe and single 3" system (Like a Camaro or Firebird) is the most common. That's about it - like all conversions, a bunch of work to make it really right. But as conversions go these are about as clean as they get. Center the HO oil pan hump over the Volvo cross member, and the T-5 shifter pokes right through the middle of the Volvo shifter boot. No cutting, no welding, no hammering. IDwithheld-1 - don't let us keep you up man; we won't miss you if you nod off. :)

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
seriously...how do you just come in a thread and yawn...like you're just totally bored or something and we're not intertaining you?

Easy. I'll do it again (yawn).

Big deal. Burning up the tires in the local Costco parking lot (kinda "Ricey" if you ask me).
How about a video showing how it did at the track? Or, under the hood and the GREAT work that must of been required to blend the two together. I just think the video detracted from the real interesting stuff.

If the vid was of a honda or a mitsubishi many of you guys would of been all over it like a swarm of killer bees.

Mike, dont forget the pesky shift boot and all that. you dont want to bend CD's getting them in the player while in 5th. LOL, J.K. (i checked out that stuff awhile back to see what kind of problems you have elsewhere, since you dont have any questions in here. LOL).

P.S. i didnt watch the video (dial up takes forever), so i dont know what the video is about, but i think i get the drift.
Idwitheld is a cool guy who has done some fab work of his own. im sure, as he said, his comment was directed to the content of the vid, not the swap. i know i'm in awe of many of the things that Guru (aka Michael Yount) has done to his ride. when Volvo swaps are talked about, Mike's name pops into my slow-functioning brain immediately, and i think it's fair to say that we all really appreciate the knowledge and info that Herr Yount brings us. that is nothing to yawn at (i think Id would agree there). :nice:

Perspective is a funny thing - when I first saw it I was thinking "wow exciting video - especially since it's a Volvo". We all like what we like - I learned a while back there's no sense trying to figure out why. In a way, though ID, I'm with ya. I sent the guy (trev) a PM, but can't seem to get him/her/it to respond with some more interesting info. Oh well, I guess we don't even know whose car it is. Trev probably just listed the link from the video collection link up top.

Hissin' said "....I think I get the 'drift' " -- watch the video and you'll literally get the 'drift'!! By the way, fabricating a way to mount the stock Stang shifter handle to the B&M shifter solved my CD extraction dilemma - cause a fella's gotta have tunes, right?

LOL,,,Mr. Yount you make it sound so easy! But I think it would be a fun project over the winter! What years make the best( or should I say the "easiest") conversions? Im looking into doing a station wagon.I think it would make a hot little ride!! 18 inch rims,with low profile tires,and maybe a vortex breathing under the hood!

Nice thing about the Volvos is the design hasn't changed much over the years. Any model 200 series (75-93 242, 244, 245) are all the same structurally. Same with the 700 series (740, 760 sedan or wagon). Probably the best approach is to find the cleanest body interior you can regardless of year.