7K RPM PP vs HPS Intake Manifold

GT04Mustang

Apr 24, 2005
Savannah Ga
So I've read all the info on the PP Intake manifold and the info on the HPS Hardball"R" intake...I have to say i like the PP one so far. But besides that fact. My question is as follows:

I'm currently being shipped a MMR -900 block with STG 3 Heads (port and polished) STG 3 Comp Cam, ARP Stud kit for Mains Heads and Rods, Felpro Gaskgets, and Flat Top notched 11.2:1 compression Manley Forged pistons, Manley Forged Rods, Forged 8-Bolt Crank, and High Volume Oil pump and pickup :eek: :hail2:
Now talk'n to Chris at MMR we both have agreed that this block is goin to like the RPM's. He is saying to have a redline around 7000 RPM ... i tend to agree.:nice: Now with spinning the motor that high do you guys think that it would be beneficial to pickup this PP Short Runner Intake?

With the Ported Heads and Stg 3 Cam I'm leaning to getting it. From what I've been reading it's not a good mod for a bolt on car...I have MORE than a bolt on car now... I know it's new but A 75mm TB and Upper Plenum and a PP Short Runner intake should help alot for the higher RPM(say 4000-7000 RPM). And also it's gonna have a 250 shot on it. 100 dry and a 150 direct port.

Any info would br helpful guys... and as for the bullit or the P-51 .. don't bother... I'm not spending that much for them and i think they are hideous, but info on the Hardball"R" (if it's gonna be out no later than end of MAY) or the PP Typhoon Power Plus Intake Manifold would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Im not a supporter of the PP piece, but only bc it claims 25hp and fails to mention it was done with a 75mm TB/Plenum on a built motor with unknown compression, stage 2 heads and cams, with every bolt-on known to man, compared to the stock intake/plenum/TB. Now a bunch ofyour average Joes are wanting to drop $600 on this thing and will maybe gaind 3-5hp if that on a bolt-on GT.

For you, I think it could* be benificial. They picked up power in most rpm ranges, but did lose a little somewhere in the rpm band.

Of topic, but how much did you pay for the MMR 900 and stage 3 heads? You can PM me if you like, but Im leaning towards MMR for my motor too and they dont have prices for their longblocks or stage 3 heads. Thanks.

I like the increased inner plenum volume of the hardballr compared to the typhoon. The typhoon is only making power at high RPM because it has shorter runners.....the HPS manifold has runners than can be shortend to just about as much as you want. They will know how far to grind em down to support 7K.

To me the typhoon is a PI minfold with a little bit shorter runners....doesnt seem to have a very much different design :shrug: .

hotmustang331 said:
I like the increased inner plenum volume of the hardballr compared to the typhoon. The typhoon is only making power at high RPM because it has shorter runners.....the HPS manifold has runners than can be shortend to just about as much as you want. They will know how far to grind em down to support 7K.

To me the typhoon is a PI minfold with a little bit shorter runners....doesnt seem to have a very much different design :shrug: .

That is why i was laening to it... the stock design seems to work quite well... so i figured that with it's shorter runners it would help up higher in the RPM rang (5-7K RPM) but not loose alot of pwer in the lower rpms(2-5K RPM).

Forgive my ignorance but what does the larger volume in the plenum do for the hardballr intake manifold????

Another factor is the PP is made in china and the HPS in made in America...The quality of metal used and craftsmanship will be better out of the the box.
My vote obviously is the HPS Intake.

Hmm, well honestly I dont have a lock down as to what effect the increased inner volume will do. But I will state what I believe it does....BUT, I will email the owner and ask specifically what it does.

Ok, my understanding is like comparing the engine to your breathing.

To get a scale of things, lets say you punched 8 small holes in your adverage plastic coke bottle. Now try to breath out of it. The small amount of air thats in there, is quickly used up and that forces you to get the air directly from the small holes. When you exhale from your nose, the bottle refills and repeat...with the same starin atthe end of your inhale. This puts alot of vaccume on the inside near the end of your inhale = more work for you (less HP).

Now do the same thing with a 3 litre bottle, you have MUCH more air to work with on your very first breath, and requires no strain on you... and by the time you want more, the bottle is filled back up with air. You never have to really pull any big vaccume and start pulling air directly from the holes. You just use up the readily available air thats in the bottle = almost no suction needed. (more HP)

That make sence? lol But thats just how I see it, and im not saying thats how it is...

Interesting...sounds like a sound theory. I don't beleive there is a set date on either product yet... which ever one comes out first might make up my mind on which i get. I'm looking to have one no later then the end of May.