Drivetrain 8.8 Axle Rebuild

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
Morning folks. Still gathering parts to do a 5 lug conversion, went a bit astray and thought why not do new gears while I'm at it, better yet, why don't I get another rear end, swap in all the goodies (new gears, axles, brakes etc, etc) to make it easier on swap day, whenever that might be. So I have a Trac-lok 8.8 from an 89 hatch (that's what it came out of, not sure what year the axle actually is but that's a whole different subject) It has some other suspension brackets, maybe for a traction bar of some sort that I'll pull off as it's a bolt on.

But my question is, does anyone know a reputable shop in / around the Lowell MA. area (Southern NH too) that I can take this to for A) bead-blasting to clean it up and B) to install new gears in? I can install all the other stuff myself but I've never done a differential, don't want to start now.

Let me know

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Good Afternoon folks. 5L5, thank you for the information, sorry that my response is so delayed. That being said I've had a few minutes to take a look at the Axle and noticed some "extra" brackets, which I'm including pictures of. Since I'm not planning on upgrading the rear suspension, other than when I swap the rear out putting in new bushings and hardware. But rather than rip and toss I'm wondering if anyone knows what these might be for and whether I should keep, donate or toss. Let me know what folks think. If I need more pics I can do that.

Attachments

• 20190823_152834 - Edited.jpg
    20190823_152834 - Edited.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190823_152905 - Edited.jpg
    20190823_152905 - Edited.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20190823_153018 - Edited.jpg
    20190823_153018 - Edited.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 107
I dunno, but looks to me like some kind of aftermarket lower control arm relocation kit or something. Factory would never have a control arm bracket bolted on, looks to me like the cross bolt goes thru the factory control arm mounting holes. Since this is an extra rear, compare it with what is in the car now, and if it's some kind of add on, just take it off and chuck it.