Drivetrain 8.8 Diff Covers for Stock(ish) GT

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
As part of my gathering of parts for my Scarlett Red money pit :p I'm swapping out out the rear axle, doing gears, 5 lug and discs (Oh, upper and lower CAs too) Looking at the axle the stock diff cover is a bit of a mess so I was going to replace it with the same factory type cover. Now that I've looked around and stopped my head from spinning... What suggestions do folks have about what i should replace it with? I've seen this

for $110. It does not have bearing cap support but is all aluminum and has drain holes. I'm open to suggestions but don't want to break the bank.

Let me know

• Sponsors (?)

I was going to switch mine from the ford racing style one to the finned when I did my panhard bar.
But the bar cleared so I left it.
Bearing support? I really haven't seen any proof it works in a street car.
I guess it may, but I don't know if it's something that could be proven.

This is the best value you are going to find, I talk to the owner of the site all the time. His name is Tony aka Junkyard Dogg

all kinds of great finds on the site
Yeah I saw his video on that a while back , pretty cool !
I may go that route when I do my 4 lug rear disc swap over the winter

I think I'll try and find an explorer or mountaineer in one of the local yards. The cover looks like it will take some abuse but do all the things I need it to do. And hopefully be cheaper than a straight out purchase. Though the Trickflow one looks pretty good (on a budget). Thanks for sharing opinions. I'll post what I get if anyone's interested.

Striking out on the juunkyard scene. One yard said they might have one but couldn't confirm it. Not sure given the weather around here that I want to be under an SUV in the mud:cautious:. So I've taken a look at a few of the recommendations and some others.I do have a question about these bigger covers. I assume they require more fluid, but I can't find any specifics on it. I just picked up a gear kit (ring, pinion shims, seals, etc) and 2qts of royal purple and friction modifier. Do I need to get more of both, how much, if I do?

Quick update! Reached out to Tony aka Junk Yard Dogg and bought that diff cover. Once we got the logistics resolved (apparently I did not click that I wanted it shipped and he was wondering when I was going to pick it up) Tony turned it around pretty quickly and I received it today. I did not notice that the cover has a stub for a cooler line( I assume it's for a cooler) any thoughts or experience on how to plug it? I think I can do better than a piece of hose and a couple of clamps:shrug:

Share some wisdom!

Here's a couple of pics.
20191207_104338.jpg
20191207_104432.jpg