8.8 Rear Ends

cray2602

Jul 31, 2016
I am wanting to swap to 4.10 gears in my '03 GT and found a used 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears in it from an explorer. Im on a tight budget. Dont know the year of the used 8.8 and dont know that much about rear ends. Are all 8.8 pretty much universal and can i swap it into my mustang without a lot of modifications?

• Sponsors (?)

What year of explorer? I believe '91-'01 exploder :) are the same ring gear. The Explorer's have a 31 spline form '96-2000 as well. You'll just have to get different axle's. Summit sells a kit. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in.

Maybe i should have elaborated a little more. My intentions are to swap the entire axle assembly rather than just swap the gears. Wouldnt that be easier in the long run? Maybe not, i dont know. Thats why im here asking.

So you want to swap to the gears into new housing then put the housing into your Mustang.

I don't know what the differences are between the two housings. Are you putting the gears in yourself? If not, it's generally easier for the shop doing the gears to have the whole car.

Oh I see. First, The explorer housing is set up for leaf springs. The mustang is coil. Second, The explorer axle length is different. It would be easier to just swap out the ring and pinion and call it a day. Depending on what year explorer you have. The center "chunk" could have 31 splines. If you wanted to upgrade axles, Now would be a good time. So to finally answer your question, Just swap gears. Hope this helps.

I "think" you can use the short side axle from the exploder and have it fit your housing (You'll need to measure to confirm). Usually its best to just use the carrier and buy hardened axles.
I have heard that you can use two short side axles to put in the mustang housing. Will need to change axle bearings thou. What I did on my 99 GT is kept the GT's housing and explorer carrier with gears. Called Summit Racing and they had a kit with hardened axles and new bearings. So to go back and answer your question, Swapping 8.8 rear housings is not a direct fit. The ring and pinion are.