83 flat tappet to modern roller conversion

FoxGT87

5 Year Member
Aug 1, 2009
St.pete FL
i have an old 1983 302 flat tappet engine that came out of a mustang vert. i keep on thinking i want to build a stroker engine, and i keep on thinking should i save up for a crate engine or should i try to take that rusty hunk and start from a scratch engine block? is it possible to turn that block into a roller engine or do i have to stay with the flat tappet design? also the engine wasnt properly kept and i would definately have to bring it to a machine shop. i am almost thinking that i would be spending just as much cash to build my own stroker as i would if i were to spend 4,500-5,000 on a 347 crate engine.

• Sponsors (?)

I almost did this once, you need to get the conversion roller lifters that have the bar in the middle and get a cam that works with it I'm pretty sure.

right, so if i were to just stroke it out would i still need to convert anything with a hole new rotating assembly? and would it be more/just about as cost efficient just to toss 4,500 dollars for a crate EFI 347 engine that is cranking out 400+ at the crank? my next step with my car being that i am getting grandfathered into a job bumping my pay and giving me 10-20 hours of OT a week i want to do something special for my car and i am thinking more cubes and FI.

^--- Indeed. For what you'd spend on a conversion kit, you could easily buy an '87+ long block or short block assembly off Craigslist or wherever else and still have money left over to bolt on some goodies. Flat tappet motors aren't exactly a bad thing, in and of themselves, as I've seen them built up to make some pretty good numbers without a conversion - they did it for decades with the older pre-'85 motors, after all. If you're gonna put a bunch of money into an '83 5.0, the roller conversion wouldn't really be worth the cost and hassle, IMO.

so no one really seems to be replying about my concerns of a 347 crate. buy a block and stroke it? is that what i am hearing would be the best bang for my buck? i am concerned with the over all cost after i get a decent set of heads i would like to stay under 5,000 dollars for the engine build.

yeah i was thinking about that but i havent researched if any of the accessories are bolt on, if the ECU will work. when i saw that i could get a 347 crate engine and bolt all of my accessories and computer up to it, tune, and go for less than 5 grand i was pretty happy. i am basically getting my ducks in a row and going to start brain storming on what i am going to ultimately do. i am a month out from starting this new job so i am a month and a half out from generating any real money. with it though i am sure that by febuary i could have all the cash i need to go either way, 351, 351/302 stroker kit, or a crate engine. not to mention if i stroke it myself then i could do it over time, especially if i bought a short block.

i couldnt find the site i found earlier somewhat frustrated that i cant find that damn site. but i did find one comprable and it is producing same numbers and similar price to the other site with more details as to whats going into it.

Limerock Race Ads | For Sale: 347 Ford Stroker Crate Engine 86-93 MustangFree Classifieds Powered By Limerock.racingjunk.com

looking at stuff like that makes me want to go that route and just bolt everything i have in my car currently to it and go. am i just being lazy and may end up running into a bad product? this is will be my first REAL project car and i dont want to loose the streetability of it or end up getting in over my head and having this end up like my last "project" that i ended up sending to the scrap yard as to not pay for storage keeping. i am pretty aprehensive about building my own block as i have not yet been succesful or have attempted it.

i will keep on looking for that other site they had a lot more selection.